Typical of blown Head Gasket?

supertodd

Okay guys I know there have been a ton of threads on blown head gaskets because its so typical of our cars but I am used to working on older simpler engines and just wanted to know if some of this was typical from a blown head gasket.
So I started pulling the motor apart the other day because I think I have a blown HG due to coolant in oil and blowing coolant out tailpipes along with a big cloud of white smoke. I found no fluid in the supercharger except for the coolant oil mix that is currently in my oil pan. Why is there coolant in the blower? Or engine oil for that matter? And when I disconnected the lower intercooler tube a half a quart of oil came out of the intercooler tube. This may be a stupid question but isnt there only supposed to be air flowing through there? The pipe that connects to the intake manifold was also coated on the inside with this coolant oil mix.
I am a decent garage mechanic but these motors just baffle my mind and I just cant wrap my head around how they are supposed to work exactly. I dont understand how the coolant flows through the different aspects of the motor/blower. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I have had nothing but problems since the day I bought this car. I have had the car for over a year and during that time it has not run right for more than a month without needing some kind of repair.

No worries!...So basically what happened is that these engines produce a lot of blow by and with a blower there are lots of places for that blow by oill to hang out...typically in the lower IC tube...the reason you see coolant is because you have coolant in your oil from the blown gasket and the coolant mixed in with the oil

make sure you clean everything out well...and as you know change your oil maybe even twice or you will sieze your engine

cool I was worried it was worse than it is now I will procede with the teardown any things to watch out for when doing HGs?

It sounds like it was run for awhile with the headgaskets blown. 91blownbird is right-on with how it got there, but I've not seen coolant make it all the way to the supercharger with a blown headgasket! :eek: How much has the engine been run since the headgasket(s) blew?

It sounds like it was run for awhile with the headgaskets blown. 91blownbird is right-on with how it got there, but I've not seen coolant make it all the way to the supercharger with a blown headgasket! :eek: How much has the engine been run since the headgasket(s) blew?

Happened on my way home one day about 4 miles from my house so probably something like 10 minutes ran it real easy cause I didnt want to mess it up any further

Hard to say for sure, but if you got alot of coolant in the oil, you might want to check main/rod bearing wear.

Some may disagree, but if it were me (assuming you have a spare car), I'd to the standard headgasket job and see what happens. Clean everything really well, have the heads (at least) checked, and reassemble carefully. There's always the chance that something else fails shortly thereafter though....

Back