cam specs

Kevin Leitem

I thought I would share my new cam card. I get asked alot, and I never minded sharing this information. Maybe this would be a good place to start a cam discussion and sharing thread.

Attachments

• kevinleitem.JPG
    kevinleitem.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 303
Comp XE Custom Grind Cam .578/.578Lift, 214/220 Dur@.050, 110 LS with 1.8 rockers

more duration would be nice, but I love the lobe sep it sounds nice

why is it that not too many people like to share this?

Last edited:
Kevin,

The duration looks about like I thought it would, but I expected the lift to be at least .600 or maybe even .625. How high are you revving the motor ?

David

Be interesting to see if cams start being used with more duration. Since Casey had sucess with a big duration cam. Kevins cam has more duration than Mr Neiberts which is making 500 rwhp. I know the experts will say the cam has to be speced to the engine (roots vs twin screw vs turbo) and use of it by the owner. I am just curious if the longer duration cams will fill the cylinders more completely and make up for our poor flowing heads. Also I can see the need for a valve train to work with high rpms once a bigger cam is slip into the equation. Look forward to reading the discussion on this thread:D

Ken

Last edited:
It makes me wonder how my cam is going to work with my new blower setup coming soon. My cam is .588/600 lift, duration @.050 is 230/236 with 112 lobe seperation.

here are the cam specs of the cam that i have been running for the last few years. real lift is actually 562. cam card had 1.6 rockers figured in

Attachments

• IMG_20120113_223107.jpg
    IMG_20120113_223107.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
It makes me wonder how my cam is going to work with my new blower setup coming soon. My cam is .588/600 lift, duration @.050 is 230/236 with 112 lobe seperation.

I would suspect rather well, little more duration then I've got but mine has just a little more lift.

So what say the experts, are the high performance SC engines in the future going to have more duration like Casey or are we at a stopping point for the big dog engines?

Ken

Depends... Shooting for dyno numbers you might build different than looking for performance. For example, my goal is a wide and highly reliable power band. I don't want to fear things flying apart if well over 6000rpm for extended periods and I want to be making good power while there.

I've yet to hit any limits indicating a need for a cam change.

Depends... Shooting for dyno numbers you might build different than looking for performance. For example, my goal is a wide and highly reliable power band. I don't want to fear things flying apart if well over 6000rpm for extended periods and I want to be making good power while there.

I've yet to hit any limits indicating a need for a cam change.

Like Corey posted on a diffrent thread what are people in this club going to do to break new barriers. Are we just going to say 450 to 500 is the limit of HP from a supercharger. The turbo guys seem to be thinking outside the box HP wise on cam selection. I know one needs supporting mods to go with more radical cam selections. Kevins original intent in post 1 was a cam discussion. I can honestly say I know little on cam science but alway like to hear discussions covering what works and what cant work.

Ken

As with most advances with performance in our cars, it's usually one pioneer who thinks outside the box and does the homework for the rest of us. Kevin is a prime example of this with his plenum design, people are seeing what can be done and are making their own versions, even Dalke has took notice. Casey just went crazy with his setup but he too has opened up everyones eyes/minds with cam specs and head combinations. Everyone already knows what Dalke has done which is amazing. I don't have the knowledge or skills to do what they've done so I'm definitely one of the many that benefit from their experimentation in performance upgrades. Not to mention that they're not secretive with their work and inform everyone so that we as a club can improve our cars, to that I say thanks.

Last edited:
Like Corey posted on a diffrent thread what are people in this club going to do to break new barriers.

The question is, what are the barriers people are looking to break? I think my barrier to break is putting the car away in the fall, and being able to start it up the first sunny day in the spring not having had to do anything with it over the winter.

Much of the MAX HP gains by the turbo guys has been through further refinement of engine combinations coupled with removal of the parasitic load of the positive displacement blower. You can see with Dave Neibert an example of refinement of the engine combination with the parasitic load of the blower.

I personally think the DN's package probably has quite a bit more in it for a dyno number with some more time spent tuning with the proper race fuel. But daily driver pump gas it may be close to the top. A good data log with the detailed dyno data might indicate if and where any limit has been reached.

I don't know that looking at cam numbers outside of the head setup is directly indicative of anything. A number of those building their motors for performance end up with different combustion chamber volumes, and different valves. Since most are hand ported, there is even further variation. I know from my data logs, that I am not yet out of cam, though it is difficult to identify how close I might be to that.

Back