Fan voltage problem

Andrew89SC

I am having problems with my fan. I have a spal fan that is controled by a toggle switch, (cut #14 wire ircm) it also works fine without the manual control. Over the winter the fan has stopped working, I tested the fan right to the battery and it works fine. I tested the voltage at the fan connection (switch on) and it is getting 11.26 which means it should work when its connected.

When the fan is conected and I turn the switch on the voltage drops to zero, so the fan does not trun on. I do not know why the fan is causing the voltage to drop.

One thing that may be of intrest is when I flip the switch for the fan the ircm clicks once, idk if that has anything to do with my problem or not just thought I'd throw it out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Oxidation or corrosion on a connector somewhere (which can include the fuses, the actual connectors, or even the relay contacts inside the IRCM).

Why you measure 11.sumpin' is that the high impedance of your meter causes almost no voltage to drop across the corrosion. When the FAN load hits, the impedance is so low, that the major portion of the 12V is wasted across the corrosion.

RwP

Andrew:

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I have some IRCM's I believe. If you want to swing by once the snow is gone we can do a swap and / or track down the offending connector.

Regards

Sean

Sean,
The car won't be on the road until June, If you have an extra ircm that I could borrow to see if that's the problem that would be great. I am going to take another look at it this weekend, if I cannot fix it I will give you a call. The number I have for you ends in 575. Let me know if that's correct.

Thanks,
-Andrew

Back