AOD internals

Nando559

What makes the SC AOD different from a N/A and 5.0 AOD? Can a non SC AOD be reworked so that it will work on our SC's? Thanks in advance

-Fernando

OTOH, if DirtyD0g or someone of similar capabilities builds up an AOD for as bullet proof as they can go, you won't notice any difference (they may have to replace a few more parts in a 5.0 AOD, but it'd still be built solid.)

Out of the box, a 5.0HO AOD should last a while behind a stock SC, but I think I'd postpone any trips to the strip in it ...

RwP

The only difference between a sc aod and a mustang aod is the overdrive servo, no extra bands, no extra clutches, no larger parts. NA v6 cars had less clutches and a even smaller servo.
Alan

Thanks

Thanks for the answers. I searched all around the forum and only found out that if its NOT a SC AOD then the 3-4 shift slips. Also that any other AOD will not last. Since Im buying a stock SC AOD off a member to have my car on street, I wanted to know if tossing away the AOD on my SC was a good idea. Dirty Dog thank you for being so helpful helping a newbie understand these transmissions. I will get intouch with you no later than tax season

-Fernando

Yes, the 3-4 shift is more likely to slip with the non-SC AOD ... but, come on, 3rd gear will take you to 120 mph or so... so why would you have a 3-4 shift under heavy throttle?

I have a 5.0 AOD in my car, which was a lightly used rebuild I bought out of someone's driveway in 2006, and it is still working fine. Just food for thought.

If I had to start fresh, I would get the SC AOD, if possible.

Thanks for the answers. I searched all around the forum and only found out that if its NOT a SC AOD then the 3-4 shift slips. Also that any other AOD will not last. Since Im buying a stock SC AOD off a member to have my car on street, I wanted to know if tossing away the AOD on my SC was a good idea. Dirty Dog thank you for being so helpful helping a newbie understand these transmissions. I will get intouch with you no later than tax season

-Fernando

Don't toss it!

If nothing else, hold it and sell it as a core.

RwP

Yes, the 3-4 shift is more likely to slip with the non-SC AOD ... but, come on, 3rd gear will take you to 120 mph or so... so why would you have a 3-4 shift under heavy throttle?

I have a 5.0 AOD in my car, which was a lightly used rebuild I bought out of someone's driveway in 2006, and it is still working fine. Just food for thought.

If I had to start fresh, I would get the SC AOD, if possible.

Well here is my problem..i have no idea what transmission i have in my SC. All I know is that my original transmission was rebuilt then it got burnt up. The guy that rebuilt it said that something was left loose and the transmission was no longer good but that he would replace it at no cost due to it being his fault. Well the transmission he put only last one week. The gear that shifts at 55mph is my problem. Right when its going to shift, it goes to "neutral" which I beleaved was the 3-4 gear. So I am wrong?

-Fernando

Don't toss it!

If nothing else, hold it and sell it as a core.

RwP

I dont plan on tossing it out. If possible, I plan on sending it out to Alan and having him do his magic so that I never need to worry about how far the car will take me with the transmission!

-Fernando

You can talk to Alan directly but usually he will only do a AOD only if he has the car, to make sure all adjustments are right.

If you want a "mail order" AOD Dan at SilverFox will be your best bet.

That is correct. I do not do mail order aod's beause unless they are adjusted correctly they will fail and I refuse to replace a product someone installed wrong on my dime. I have been burnt too many times on crap like that. TV cable adjustment is critical, if it is not 100% right no matter how well the transmission is built it will fail quickly.
Alan

Well here is my problem..i have no idea what transmission i have in my SC. All I know is that my original transmission was rebuilt then it got burnt up. The guy that rebuilt it said that something was left loose and the transmission was no longer good but that he would replace it at no cost due to it being his fault. Well the transmission he put only last one week. The gear that shifts at 55mph is my problem. Right when its going to shift, it goes to "neutral" which I beleaved was the 3-4 gear. So I am wrong?

-Fernando

If you are talking about a shift around 55mph under normal driving, then that is the 3-4 shift. Or are you talking about full throttle conditions?

Failing to make the shift under full throttle, I can understand. I might blame that on too weak of an OD servo.

But if it can't make the shift under cruising conditions, then the transmission guy messed up. Think about how much power the engine is making under normal highway driving ... maybe 50 horsepower? You're not overpowering servos at that power level.

If you are talking about a shift around 55mph under normal driving, then that is the 3-4 shift. Or are you talking about full throttle conditions?

Failing to make the shift under full throttle, I can understand. I might blame that on too weak of an OD servo.

But if it can't make the shift under cruising conditions, then the transmission guy messed up. Think about how much power the engine is making under normal highway driving ... maybe 50 horsepower? You're not overpowering servos at that power level.

Yes, it happens at cruising speeds. The car use to be my DD up until this same transmission problem started happening.I guess the shops I take my transmission to just dont know how to build SC AODs.Unless I got a N/A AOD and I got less clutches.:confused:

Yes, it happens at cruising speeds. The car use to be my DD up until this same transmission problem started happening.I guess the shops I take my transmission to just dont know how to build SC AODs.Unless I got a N/A AOD and I got less clutches.:confused:

Whether they know how or not, they aren't doing it correctly! :eek:

I really don't think this comes down to the difference between SC and non-SC parts. I think it comes down to proper vs. improper rebuilding.

I am wondering if the second rebuild was even a rebuild at all? Maybe he just grabbed a used "good" transmission in an attempt to get himself off the hook cheaply.

More likely the transmission shops don't know how to adjust an aod. Even stock parts should last a while. A 1.5 OD band and a B servo do not last long behind a SC that gets driven hard.
Alan

You can talk to Alan directly but usually he will only do a AOD only if he has the car, to make sure all adjustments are right.

If you want a "mail order" AOD Dan at SilverFox will be your best bet.

Thanks for letting me know where I can buy "mail order" AOD. I will look into that.;)

Whether they know how or not, they aren't doing it correctly! :eek:

I really don't think this comes down to the difference between SC and non-SC parts. I think it comes down to proper vs. improper rebuilding.

I am wondering if the second rebuild was even a rebuild at all? Maybe he just grabbed a used "good" transmission in an attempt to get himself off the hook cheaply.

Well this happened a few years ago and I parked the car. I was young and stupid:D I recently got it rebuilt and the same thing happened! The 3-4 is no good. So other then going through with a lot of BS..I'm saving up and seeing what my options are but also trying to figure out wth is going on with my transmission that is currently in my SC.:(

More likely the transmission shops don't know how to adjust an aod. Even stock parts should last a while. A 1.5 OD band and a B servo do not last long behind a SC that gets driven hard.
Alan

That is one of my thoughts. If I wasn't a newbie to this then I would drop the transmission myself and rebuild it with the updates. I even have a Ford stage 2 Valvebody and a 3000 stall converter in the trunk of my SC that haven't been put in.:eek:

Well this happened a few years ago and I parked the car. I was young and stupid:D I recently got it rebuilt and the same thing happened! The 3-4 is no good. So other then going through with a lot of BS..I'm saving up and seeing what my options are but also trying to figure out wth is going on with my transmission that is currently in my SC.:(

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just a valve body problem or something like that. Anyway, between DirtyDog and SilverFox, I am sure you will get it solved!

Back