Cant Get alternator pulley off

layinthesmack31

I am trying to install my under drive pulley set and i cant seem to get the nut on the alternator pulley off. i was just wondering how u guys got them off because i cant seem to get it free. i dont have an air gun so i am using just a regular ratchet. please offer any suggestions on how to get that nut off. thanks
Matt

oh and also i want to put on my super charger pulley but i need to know how to get the stock on off without wrecking it. any suggestions on how to do this would be great too :) thanks
Matt

you need an impact wrench to get the alternator pulley off, unless you are king kong. Even if you stand on a breaker bar, it will not come loose. Thats why you need airtools.

You can take the alternator off, and take it to a shop, and have them swap on the new pulley if you don't have access to air.

Justin

Oh, well that explains it, I was ready to take a sledgehammer to the damn thing. GRRRRRRRRRRR

Will no amount of WD40 help? Does it HAVE to be an impact wrench?

I don't think the issue with air tools is so much that the nut is too tight, it's just that it is hard to keep the alternator from turning while loosening the nut with hand tools. An old trick it is to remove the alternator from the car, wrap a length of old belt around the pulley (to keep from marking it up) and clamp the pulley in a vise. Then you can attack the nut with the conventional hand tools like breaker bar, cheater bar, etc.

You might also try with a second person applying pressure to the tensioner on the belt in the car. Be very careful doing this because you will be applying pressure to remove the bolt on the tensioner pulley (left loosey!) when you are doing this. Hands pushing on the tensioner pulley might also slip underneath the tensioner pulley if the belt turns causing more skin donations to the cause!

GLDIII's belt and vise suggestion works great - that's how I removed my alternator pulley.

Now, if MARCH could only make the damn pulley's right. The hub on my MARCH UD alternator pulley is 0.030 too short and rubs on the housing.

Aaron

Back