which block do you think is better

Kevin Leitem

Do you think the 2001 - 2004 mustang 3.8 block is better than the SC block? There seems to be 4 bolt mains available for the mustang block. The main webs seem thicker to allow the center 2 caps to be 4 bolt. www.pro-gram.com has billet caps avaliable

I saw that over there, the web does look thicker than ours. Just curious what the differences are.

Last edited:
The architecture of the block may appear better but I am wondering what the metallurgical properties are. That can make all the difference

why does it make any difference? the stock sc blocks are plenty strong enough for what you can throw at it, the heads will lift before you can make any serious power

^^just realized that made me sound like a dick

what im getting at is, i wouldn't waste money on a new block and mains when the stocker can do the job just as well

why does it make any difference? the stock sc blocks are plenty strong enough for what you can throw at it, the heads will lift before you can make any serious power

^^just realized that made me sound like a dick

what im getting at is, i wouldn't waste money on a new block and mains when the stocker can do the job just as well

read this and you will see what i am doing. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123682

well i picked this up on my way home tonight. 2001 with 45,000 miles

Attachments

• Clearfield-20120123-00050.jpg
    Clearfield-20120123-00050.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 368
Is the 01 different than the later years? If the metalurgy is different, I bet it is better than the later years. Just thinking out loud, but USUALLY we do not move backwards as far as blocks go. As the technology gets on, the new fandangled stuff, becomes the norm.

SWS

Is the 01 different than the later years? If the metalurgy is different, I bet it is better than the later years. Just thinking out loud, but USUALLY we do not move backwards as far as blocks go. As the technology gets on, the new fandangled stuff, becomes the norm.

SWS

I don't know if there is any difference in the later years, but everyone says the 2001 is the best. As far as metalurgy goes no clue, but I would hope 12 years after the first SC blocks were made they learned a few things. But one thing is for sure the main webs on the 2001 are much more substaintal. That is a big concern for me since I have broke the web out of a SC block. Even if the over all ridgitity is lower on the mustang block, the block filler will make the block not flex. With the power levels I am looking to make keeping the crank in the block will be the hardest part. That is why I like the idea of 4 bolt mains on the center 2 caps.

Sometimes extra webbing is added to make up for a cheaper mix so to speak. You can easily send a chunk of block out for analysis...If you need some testing labs I can provide a few

Casey, I really hope you are not comparing what you did on the dyno a couple of times to what I am planning on doing on the track hundreds of times. I am looking for durability. If it goes lean I don't want it to grenade. I would much rater spend an extra couple thousand to save ten grand in the engine. Not to mention that many many wrecks occur when an engine fails on the track. Now you are out everything. My theory is build it right the first time and it will save you money in the long run.

As a non automotive related example. There were a large number of rigging hooks that were failing way beyond thier yield strenght. It ended up being that even though rated the same as a similiar sized hook made in america, the chinese version just wasnt up to the task and failed

Casey, I really hope you are not comparing what you did on the dyno a couple of times to what I am planning on doing on the track hundreds of times. I am looking for durability. If it goes lean I don't want it to grenade. I would much rater spend an extra couple thousand to save ten grand in the engine. Not to mention that many many wrecks occur when an engine fails on the track. Now you are out everything. My theory is build it right the first time and it will save you money in the long run.

Basically what Damon was eluding to was something will not break based off of repetition alone. Materials have a yield stress that basically states that a material will deform and retract until that stress exceeds the yield stress. Once it exceeds the yield stress, then some deformity becomes permanent and it's downhill from there. Your block didn't break because of your "hundreds" of passes. You'll quickly find that not very many parts, aftermarket or factory, will hold up to a motor going lean.

I beat the poop out of that motor, on the street for over a year. Keep in mind that is has twice the HP than your motor did and 1000 more RPM. (mentioned for logical purposes, not bragging rights.) I also went lean to the point where I destroyed a rod and cracked a crank.

I also agree with Damon about the metallurgy. I would take two samples from each block and send it to a metallurgist to analyze them, if it were me. You can make a better looking block than both out of plastic, but it doesn't mean it would support 1000 hp.

Sorry casey but just because it lasted once will not mean it will last forever yes hundreds of passes will wear on parts and eventually cause them to fail. So you ran 24 PSI and Q16 the whole time on the street? The guys over at v6p are making big power and running fast times on the mustang block

Sorry casey but just because it lasted once will not mean it will last forever yes hundreds of passes will wear on parts and eventually cause them to fail. So you ran 24 PSI and Q16 the whole time on the street? The guys over at v6p are making big power and running fast times on the mustang block

e85 most of the time i think

If you are considering a different block and changed to a different power adder. Have you considered using a SVO V6 block? (just a thought)

If you are considering a different block and changed to a different power adder. Have you considered using a SVO V6 block? (just a thought)

Yes, I gave it a thought a long time ago, they are great engines. But the main reasons why I don't want to are. I want to keep a production engine and mainly because I don't want to put a ton of money into an engine that has a very limited supply of parts. It would suck to break something and not be able to find a replacement, or if you do it might cost a fortune. That I why I am interested in the mustang block. There are millions out there, even the SC engine is of shorter supply.

Sometimes extra webbing is added to make up for a cheaper mix so to speak. You can easily send a chunk of block out for analysis...If you need some testing labs I can provide a few

I might take you up on that. I really would love to see the differences. It would be great if they are better than the SC block. Alot easier to find and cheap.

Back