Ignition switch recall for 91 SC

JOE91SC

Just wondering if anyone have had issue with the ignition switch? I had a letter from Ford Canada for the recall many years ago, but never got it done. The car has very low km. on it. just thinking if I should look into it.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.dealerrater.com/recalls/Ford/THUNDERBIRD/#y1991

1991 Ford THUNDERBIRD RecallItem Affected: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION
Date Announced: 5/1/1996

Description of Recall:
THE IGNITION SWITCH COULD EXPERIENCE AN INTERNAL SHORT CIRCUIT.

Action Needed To Fix It:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH.

Find your local Ford Dealer.

Last edited:
Would this cause an intermittent no crank condition? My 89 is untrustworthy because every now and then it won't start for a few weeks and then it will just start right up again. Tried all the usual suspects at this point and this is where I was heading next.

Sorry for the derail.

Ben, I would go ahead and replace the switch......

A bad switch can cause all sorts of problems....

It's very easy to replace (takes about ½ hour)....

I use a Torx bit and ¼" wrench to remove the two bolts that hold it to the steering column....

i was watching ID discovery last night, some murder show where they found a chick burnt in a 92 cougar. the defense claimed the faulty ignition switches caused fires and the melting plastic lit the carpet up. so today i put a new one in for safetys sake. I have quite an investment in this car, and im sure alot of you do too. better to be safe than sorry..

If you go to any Ford service dept. and give them your VIN they can tell you whether your car is involvded in the recall. As already stated the ignition switch can cause a multitude of gremlins. My 89 Cougar wasn't involved in the recall but when I had some other issues I replaced it. $12 aftermarket and simple to do, no reason not to especially if Ford sent you the notice, they'll take care of it.

Cheers

They did it on some '90's also. I had it fixed on my first one in '95, replaced it on my second one myself last year and will probably do it on the third one if I ever begin driving it. If you get into it you will see what a design flaw it has. It will eventually fail.

Back