power seat track??

godavid

SCCoA Member
What kind of lube is used for the power seat tracks? thanks Also if I have to jiggle the front and back switch to get the seat to move is it likely that the switch is bad? thanks

This is the Ford recommended product. I am sure a variety of other greases would work too. Note that the Ford page specifies that theirs is amber colored.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-Greases.aspx

It could be a bad switch. But the switch is very simple. You could probably take it apart and clean the contacts before spending money on it.

I think it could also be a partially stripped gear ... but you might notice some roughness or binding in the movement of the seat if that was the case.

I've had OK results with plain old wheel bearing grease. It will thicken up in cold weather, but at least it stays on there. When I tried lithium grease, it didn't seem to last all that long. Not sure why. I usually end up disassembling and sanding / cleaning the rails of all the old gunk and rust to get them to work again. Its time consuming work, but that's what it takes. Of course, the most important thing to do is line the rails up as evenly as possible through the range of travel BEFORE tightening the mounting bolts. :)

After a good cleaning, I've always used plain old multi-purpose grease. Seems to work well for me!

3138QpG-%2BjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There is one other thing to consider ... if you are stuck deciding between two greases ... pick the one that matches the carpet better. :p (It will end up down there at some point!)

Back