Waterpump nightmare.

threebyfour

Seems as tho I've got coolant leaking out of the seep hole, duh waterpump is bad, simple I say, done a dozen or so mostly older chevs, so i get the parts and start the investigation on the issue,hmmmm, sounds like a bitch to do in my griveway in the only snow of the year so i start getting quotes locally. (lazy man I am.) I have to say im suprised, 346.00 wow. I provided the pump, gasket and coolant, and they say theres two formed hoses that are bad, i usually do any work myself that I figure is within my scope, so i dont really know if this is an acceptible price. Shop rates are 86 dollars an hour. what do you think?

Sounds about right... 2-3 hours, plus coolant and hoses.

Biggest issue is you have to pull the power steering pulley to remove a bracket attached to the water pump. Most folks don't start with one of the tools necessary to remove that pulley in their garage. After that is off, then it's pretty easy to replace. A bunch of bolts to remove. Clean off the surfaces, install a new gasket. Seal a couple bolt holes and bolt it back on.

There are a few formed rubber hoses off the pump that feed the oil cooler, simply remove the aluminum crimp fittings and put on new rubber hose and clamp. Mike is right on with the labor.

I've replaced two of em over the years. I don't remove the power steering pump pully. I unbolt the whole bracket & tie it off out of the way. It takes me 15/20 mins to get that whole side unbolted from the water pump. It does help that I've got a zero degree ratchet from Cornwell. By far, the best tool I've bought. Without it, I wouldn't get that bracket off with the PS pump on.

I will be doing one this weekend- any thing else i should be ready for?? can i replace the smaller hoses with universal hose or do i have to get vehicle specific ones? also does anyone know where to for a good price on tensioners?

I will be doing one this weekend- any thing else i should be ready for?? can i replace the smaller hoses with universal hose or do i have to get vehicle specific ones? also does anyone know where to for a good price on tensioners?

You can use universal hose, but the vehicle specific ones should be preformed to avoid possible kinking.

For tensioners, I'd check RockAuto - while remembering that there's discount coupons available for Advance Auto also. And check the other regional/national chains in your area.

If you can, to better apply tension, use the clamp style hose clamps instead of the wormgear drive ones. The worm gear ones are easier to use, but the clamp style do a better job of clamping.

I bought Prestone green with a rebate coupon, and some distilled water, to make my own premix. All it takes is one empty gallon jug - and if you drain the motor as completely as possible, you can generate that by pouring in a gallon of distilled, a gallon of anti freeze, then pour half a second gallon into the first antifreeze jug, and fill both up with distilled water (to make your own 50/50 for about 60% the price of store-bought 50/50.) Adjust mix quantities to suit your tastes (I actually use 2:1 water/antifreeze around here in Louisiana.)

RwP

2nd time I did the WP was on my 95. I had done one on my 91 before. One of the top bolts broke off while removing i and I had to get the hole filled and tapped. ~~~~ that was. Be careful is all I will add. Not a bad job otherwise.

Isn't there also a smaller bolt semi hidden at the bottom of the pump case, or am I thinking of one of my other vehicles? Seems to me I remember some folks missing it & breaking the pump?? Moot point when you are replacing the pump with a new one, but something to be aware of...

Isn't there also a smaller bolt semi hidden at the bottom of the pump case, or am I thinking of one of my other vehicles? Seems to me I remember some folks missing it & breaking the pump?? Moot point when you are replacing the pump with a new one, but something to be aware of...

You might be thinking about the timing cover - the waterpump bolts are pretty well exposed and obvious. The timing cover has an allen screw that is hidden pretty well at the bottom edge.

I think you are talking about the front cover. Down in the corner by the oil pan.

Edit. Matt beat me to it.

Thanks to everybody! Im a little sheepish to admit i took it to a local shop and had them do it for me, 315 bucks, not too bad. BUUUUT now it seems like the car lost power,? I'm barely getting 10lbs of boost . any thoughts?

you can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. The tubes need to come off, then the surfaces of the tubes need to be cleaned of any prior material so they are smooth. You will notice that they are a ball and socket type of mating surface. You'll want to put medium thick coating of RTV on the sealing surfaces and then re-install the tubes, one at a time. When installing the tubes you need to install them loose to start. Then carefully line them up and tighten down.

Don't go too crazy on the RTV at the joints. You don't want a bunch to squeeze into the tubes and begin to block your IC. No need to tighten the nuts really tight either (to the point of deforming the flanges). Just snug enough! :)

Back