Wheel/suspension setup

Tedor

I have a 91 SC and I'm planing on installing 1.6" Vogtland lowering springs and 18x8 with 45 offset wheels. Not really sure which width or profile on tires I will run, I want to get minimum gap between the tire and the fender but I don't want it to rub and be were bad to drive. What your thoughts about this, do anyone run the similiar setup, pics? What about 19" and 20" rims, overkill?

Thanks

The 18x8s +45 will fit without a roll if you go with a 255 or under. They will look sunk in though. Go with a higher sidewall to fill out the wheel wells, this will raise your car off the ground however. Another good way to try and make the car look like it has less gap is to roll the fenders and go with a lower offset wheel. The lower the offset the further out the wheel will sit.

In worst case I will go with spacers to get the wheels a little bit out from the car. Defenitly dont want the wheels to sit to far in.

In worst case I will go with spacers to get the wheels a little bit out from the car. Defenitly dont want the wheels to sit to far in.

Did you buy the wheels already, Those will def be tucked, They they are FWD specs.

I haven't bought them yet. But I think that too much offset is better than too low, beacuse I can decide with spacers how much it will stick out or be tucked.

Do anyone have pics of this set up, including 1.5" drop?

thx

I haven't bought them yet. But I think that too much offset is better than too low, beacuse I can decide with spacers how much it will stick out or be tucked.

Do anyone have pics of this set up, including 1.5" drop?

thx

Spacers is the last thing you want to run, specially if they are not hub centric. Do it right the first tieme. TireRack and Discount tire Direct, all suck when they spec it out.

LOok up Brad AKA CUdaz. for some wheels that bolt on and have an aggressive stance.

I have tokico lowering springs with 1 1/2" drop. I have 20"x 8 1/2" fronts 37 et backspace and 245/35/20 tires and no issues. 255's might rub. in the back i have 20" x 9 1/2" 40et with 275/35/20 tires. I had a little rub with these, but not enough to mark the tires. 10 mintues with a baseball bat and rolled nicely. It was weird I had 285/30/20s on the back previous with no issues.? Not much difference in ride compared to stock wheels. Seems the new illuminas and springs give a little more hashness around town but not bad. This pic was before lowering and with 235/35 front and 285/30 rears
1028101218a_0001.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I have tokico lowering springs with 1 1/2" drop. I have 20"x 8 1/2" fronts 37 et backspace and 245/35/20 tires and no issues. 255's might rub. in the back i have 20" x 9 1/2" 40et with 275/35/20 tires. I had a little rub with these, but not enough to mark the tires. 10 mintues with a baseball bat and rolled nicely. It was weird I had 285/30/20s on the back previous with no issues.? Not much difference in ride compared to stock wheels. Seems the new illuminas and springs give a little more hashness around town but not bad.

Pics?????????

^ Although hubcentric spacers are available. The 5mms I have in the rear of my car are.

Also you can't run big spacers because the lugs won't have enough thread to bite for a secure fit.

low offset + wide wheels = awesome. :)

+38 to +40 is a nice fit on 8" wheels under an SC. With that rim width, you can easily run 245/45R18, which is very close to stock tire diameter, and readily available in many different tires now.

cheers
Ed N.

+38 to +40 is a nice fit on 8" wheels under an SC. With that rim width, you can easily run 245/45R18, which is very close to stock tire diameter, and readily available in many different tires now.

cheers
Ed N.

Yes but Beefy is so much better :D id go +35MM on that 8" rim

garage_attachment.php

Yes but if I'm getting spacers they will of course be hubcentric. And there is spacers availible with threads so there is no problem with that. Is that the only problems?

Of course wider is better, but can't find any chrome wheels that fit and are wider except for the cobras and saleens and I want my SC not to be like someone elses. Maybe looking to make those 8" wide rims to 9" in the future who knows.

Yes but if I'm getting spacers they will of course be hubcentric. And there is spacers availible with threads so there is no problem with that. Is that the only problems?

Of course wider is better, but can't find any chrome wheels that fit and are wider except for the cobras and saleens and I want my SC not to be like someone elses. Maybe looking to make those 8" wide rims to 9" in the future who knows.

Added unsprung weight. Changing brakes is twice the work to get to it at least for the lug ones. And ofcourse the added expense for good decent hubcentric spacers.

Spend the money changing bolt patterns to the mustang patten and open up your rim options 10x

Added unsprung weight. Changing brakes is twice the work to get to it at least for the lug ones. And ofcourse the added expense for good decent hubcentric spacers.

Spend the money changing bolt patterns to the mustang patten and open up your rim options 10x

Definitely +1 on going to Mustang pattern. Opens your wheel possibilities to well, endless. You can use wheels for Stangs, Lexus, Nissan, etc. etc. Where as with the stock bolt pattern you pretty much have to buy from Brad or find wheels made for either a Volvo or Ferrari.

And don't you have to cut down your stock lugs to run the spacers with lugs on them? Not worth it.

The bolt-on threaded spacers are a minimum of 1" thick, so you would need very high offset wheels to keep the wheels & tires under the car with those.

cheers
Ed N.

Back