oil pressure mod question.

1fstb1rd

I did the oil pressure gauge mod on my 89, as I swapped the motors I swapped the clusters. The issue is the gauge is showing reallllly low, enough to make the check gauges light turn on. As I started thinking, I bypassed the resistor on the 91 cluster, but the 89 did not have one on it. I read the write up on TCCoA and it says it will behind the gauge OR 5 inches away from the sender I believe. I had the injector harness apart and did not see a resistor near or even in the harness. Does anyone know any other location of the resistor on a 89? It seems that it is causing my issue of "low pressure".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did the oil pressure gauge mod on my 89, as I swapped the motors I swapped the clusters. The issue is the gauge is showing reallllly low, enough to make the check gauges light turn on. As I started thinking, I bypassed the resistor on the 91 cluster, but the 89 did not have one on it. I read the write up on TCCoA and it says it will behind the gauge OR 5 inches away from the sender I believe. I had the injector harness apart and did not see a resistor near or even in the harness. Does anyone know any other location of the resistor on a 89? It seems that it is causing my issue of "low pressure".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most people just add an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and ground the stock sender wire to show max pressure, which keeps the red light from coming on. Modifying the stock gauge doesn't really tell you anything useful.

David

You read my mind David.I just got back from the parts store.I got a mechanical number gauge. the 50 bucks I spent on it is much better then hunting for a resistor for hours. Now to find a place to stick it. Im sure its much more accurate. Thank you.

You read my mind David.I just got back from the parts store.I got a mechanical number gauge. the 50 bucks I spent on it is much better then hunting for a resistor for hours. Now to find a place to stick it. Im sure its much more accurate. Thank you.

On my 93 SC I put it in that cubby hole at the base of the console, but a pillar pod also works well...just a little more work required to get the hose routed on a mechanical gauge.

garage_attachment.php

David

I like the cubby hole idea. i got my DB1 next to the headlight switch in the panel and the boose gauge on the opposite side. i wish i could have fit it there, its easy to wire and i like the looks of it. i think i may just get the pillar pod. i really cant see where else to put it. I might do the cubby hole, but ill see what works. Thanks.

how hard is it to see the cubby gauges? The angle looks like it would be hard to view.

You have to lean over to read all the numbers, but I don't need to see the numbers since the needle is visable. Straight up on the coolant temp gauge is 180 and straight up on the oil pressure is 50 psi. Just glancing over I can tell if either is high or low without actually seeing the number on the gauge. I'm not as concerned with the actual numbers as I am with the deviations from the normal positions.

David

They make angled bezels you can buy to tilt the gauge up so you could see easier.

I looked into using those until I discovered the cubby hole wasn't large enough (height) to allow tilting the body of the gauge. Then again, I didn't try real hard either.

David

Back