brand new clutch slipping

1fstb1rd

I did a complete engine swap/new clutch and a ton of other stuff. Today is the 1st day i actually drove the car. In 5th gear, from 1000 rpm, when I mash the gas it will rev up to 2000 pretty quickly, then it will stay there like its slipping. It seems to do it only in 5th. The clutch I got was from RockAuto about a year ago, it was a Rinopak clutch,i think the part number is 07070, its the first on the list on RA. The stock clutch I pulled off had 4 springs in the disk, the replacement had 5. Also the pressure plate was different than the stock one. It bolted right up without a problem. It also came with a brass pilot, which I thought was odd. I know most likely this is the wrong clutch,but I ordered it about a year ago, so I cant even return it. There was no fluid contamination.Does anyone have experience with this? I am starting to get really really fed up with this car, I feel like a cant catch a break.

thanks in advance, probably for confirming my worse fears.:(

mine was shot, i got a used one that was never cut down, it was like mint, cleaned it up with some sandpaper and threw it on. it was perfect. nothing was taken off at all. Im gonna try and tighten the pressure plate tomorrow and see if there is anything i can do without taking the trans back out, I dont know...

man i have a headache.

I had a brand new spec 3+ tear up my brand new steel fly and I went center force DF and have had no problems since

Usually when a clutch slips I believe it will slip in all gears it's just more noticeable in higher gears

How does it do in 4th?

It doesnt seem to slip, only in 5th, it has gotten a little better, but not that much. It seems like in the other gears it has power, dont get me wrong, but not enough power that the engine sounds like its putting out. Its hard to explain, i will take a video tomorrow, its hard to describe in other gears.

Clutches, just like engines, NEED to be broken in. Just like you shouldn't go WOT on a brand new engine you should go WOT on a clutch. Just take it easy on it for a few hundred miles and it may get better if you haven't already done too much damage.

Are you 100% sure it's the clutch? The reason I ask is that mashing the gas in 5th gear sounds like a recipe for detonation. If the knock sensor picks up on that, it could be pulling out a lot of timing and slowing you down. Just something else to think about.

Are you 100% sure it's the clutch? The reason I ask is that mashing the gas in 5th gear sounds like a recipe for detonation. If the knock sensor picks up on that, it could be pulling out a lot of timing and slowing you down. Just something else to think about.

Good call.

I have NEVER had a new clutch slip in any of my cars. I didnt mean mash as in WOT. IT had 200 miles on it before i even noticed it, i noticed it changing lanes. It was definately slipping. it has not gotten any better. im willing to bet it is an incorrect clutch, or the pressure plate is defective. Its got 430 on it now and its still the same.

Sure, you could have the wrong clutch, or the wrong pressure plate, but you could also just have an improper installation. The slave may be hanging up on the input shaft causing the clutch to not fully release. Whoever did the install should be checking it out. You'll probably want to pull the trans and may need to replace the clutch disk if it's been damaged by the slipping.

Sure, you could have the wrong clutch, or the wrong pressure plate, but you could also just have an improper installation. The slave may be hanging up on the input shaft causing the clutch to not fully release. Whoever did the install should be checking it out. You'll probably want to pull the trans and may need to replace the clutch disk if it's been damaged by the slipping.

I did the installation. I verified the slave isnt hanging up, it is releasing fully. im going to put a new clutch in, once i rebuild the motor...glitter in the oil.

i changed the oil a few days after it was running, filter was filled with glitter, i have no idea. It probably is a bearing.Im not going to know until it gets pulled apart. talk about raining on my parade.

thanks, i decided im in too deep at this point. might as well go the distance, at least if the car is running ill have somewhere to live!!

Back