soaked carpet padding

anlo

padding under driverside carpet totally saturated with water . dont see point of entry it was to the point i had a drip at the rear drain plug.. sopped it up with bath towels but going to have to pull entire carpet to dry out. but must find source ive heard you guys mention normal spot is around a/c hoses on fire wall but how about driver side ??/
could rain water get in from top at wiper motor area ? and seep in from behind rubber matting against firewall on the inside behind brake pedal and all ? who has been through this ?

padding under driverside carpet totally saturated with water . dont see point of entry it was to the point i had a drip at the rear drain plug.. sopped it up with bath towels but going to have to pull entire carpet to dry out. but must find source ive heard you guys mention normal spot is around a/c hoses on fire wall but how about driver side ??/
could rain water get in from top at wiper motor area ? and seep in from behind rubber matting against firewall on the inside behind brake pedal and all ? who has been through this ?

Could it be your heater core?

Maybe drip lines from sun roof backing up?

I had this problem with both my mn-12's.

We get continual rain up here in the Pacific Northwest and I'm convinced the water has come in the fresh air vent.

What I did to combat this was add the tile under the carpet. You get the ideas from the pics. As well there is a rubber plug under the wire channel which I removed so water can drain if it does get in. There is no way the carpet will ever dry if it gets wet underneath the rubber. It will just do a slow rot / rust unless you remove it completely.

As well if you look at the difference between the fresh air intakes from the '89 pic #4 to my '91 pic #5 it is pretty evident Ford realized they had a problem.

If you have an early style you might want to look at modifying it.

Regards

Sean

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 000_0949.jpg
    000_0949.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 99
no sun roof

i have no sunroof its a 95 i havent looked at passenger side yet
im pretty sure its coming from drivers side under dash at firewall from under the the rubber padding attached to inner firewall around the steering boot.. that padding is like a hardcore sponge. itll never dry without laying out in the sun for days.. smells like old dog.

wouldnt heater core be a passenger side problem ?

air box or windsheild..

Have you had your windsheild replaced just before this started?? I have seen this be an issue on some trucks. The other place to look is the front under the wiper covers. These are both good places for water to come from.
I would pull back the carpet and dry it out. Then with a friend and a good light start putting water first in the wiper area and see if you get water inside. If not move on to the next spot and try again. Good luck and get this dried out good or it will really tear up your car with mold and rust....Good luck....Rich

I have found water leaks at the windshield with a soap/water mixture and air pressure. Spray the mixture around the exterior edges of your windshield and then from the inside, with your air hose, shoot some air at the edges of the windshield. If there are any soap bubbles formed on the outside of the glass you have found your leak.

Chris

Maybe there is some kind of leak in your car. I don't think that rain water can cause this. Check it again dude.

You have to remember any water that gets under the carpet will never dry so over the course of time it just gets wetter and wetter.

It most likely is rain water as antifreeze has such a distinct smell.

Regards

Sean

water

definately water no smell except mildew
in the process of drying all out
pulled the wiper covers everything seems fine. siliconed wind shield edges . i did notice where some jackass tire shop tried jacking car up without regard to jack placement missed the rail bent my brake lines anyway separated that rail pushing floor up a little exposing what looked like two weld spots i sealed them but dont see how that much water could come in from there if indeed its all the way through ?
my gut tells me its from rain water or washing car from top side i will closer inspect windshield areas
its original wind shield lorraine sticker and all..
would really rather find it ... after all this trouble drying dont want to just soak it again thanks for the tips i ll try a few more things
before re assembly...
on a good note while having my seat sitting in my living room was able to fix the air bag line for lumbar feature and bottom bolster spring that had been broken.....

on a good note while having my seat sitting in my living room was able to fix the air bag line for lumbar feature and bottom bolster spring that had been broken.....

Yea, that was something I did when I had my seats out. Easy fix with some fresh rubber hose. The lumbar feature in these cars is really nice.

Back