non s/c -- explorer related

anlo

im assuming i should replace trans fluid in my newly aquired 96 ford exploder with merc five ? just wondering if same rules apply to all ford transmissions. its not a 4r70w some kind of ax something or other....

4R44e requires Mercon 3. 5R55E(97-up) requires Mercon 5. I wouldnt install Mercon 5 in a transmission that has been using Mercon 3 unless it has been completely rebuilt.

i beg the differ, i don't use anything less than mercon v on anything regardless

oh btw.. if the trans has dirty fluid in it now you can't change the fluid else you'll be replacing the transmission, if its been regularly maintained then it'll be fine else you'll send it to its doom

Ehhhhh...sorta.

It works like this. Tranny fluid is a detergent. It works that way to keep the system clean. For this thread, we are only covering the detergent portion of the fluid. Once it gets dirty, it loses the ability to maintain its other properties as do all other fluids in the vehicle. What happens when you continue to run the tranny with older fluid is that it starts to leave deposits in places where clutch/rubber material used to be. What does that mean? If you replace your burned up fluid with new detergent, it cleans out the old stuff that is now being used as part of the function of either a friction or a seal.

So, if it has gone more than 70K on old fluid, leave it alone. If it is under that, its iffy. If it is between 30 and 50, you SHOULD be okay for the change.

SWS

Not filthy

its not dirty real bad but it doesnt smell like merc v i know that smell have had a couple baths in it so probably previous owner put dex/merc in it or who knows what im pretty sure walmart did everything .. theres no issues being i just bought it i like to know where im at... but it does have 248000 on the clock so my gut says if it aint broke dont fix it. just leave it alone ya know ?
its a 96 4.0 v/6 xlt

Back