Ignition question

mikedenton49

If a 93 with all the bolt ons were to experience a misfire under boost despite new plugs and inspected newish wires alongside the codes:

212 Loss of ignition diagnostic monitor input spark output circut grounded

217 Powertrain control module detected coil 3 primary circut failure

What would you suspect? Everything is tight and should be perfect except for cam sensor pigtail which got chewed on by a supercharger belt recently. It "looks" fine though.

Any ideas?

Litte more info please. Does it do it all the time? Like when it is cold or does it only does it when it is hot?

All the time. At idle, the tach jumps around a little and sometimes the engine sputters and dies. I have replaced the cam sensor three times. It's gotta be in the pigtail huh?

I have replaced the cam sensor three times.

??? why?

Both codes are indicating an issue with the EDIS module. Start with making sure the spout plug on the EEC-IV harness is seated firmly and is making good contact. 212 can come up if the spout plug is not installed, or if it is having intermittent contact.

217 may be a result of the spout plug acting intermittently, or could be an issue with the control wire for Coil 3 of the coil pack, a problem in the coil pack, or a problem in the coil driver in the EDIS module itself.

Fix the 212 first, clear codes, and see how it does.

All that said. Check your spark plug gap as well. Stock motor, make sure the gap is at spec. 16+psi bolt on motor, you need to decrease the gap.

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time. Where might I find said spout connector? On the PCM? DIS is going out? Why do you say that?

ive never had trouble with dis mostly its plugs or wires
autolite platinum miss for me try autolite copper or motorcraft platinum

ralph

Back