Anyone have any idea what this is...

PWR

Hello,

I have a '90 SC and get a sort of, mild 'moaning' noise from down around the brake pedal ever other time I depress it - sounds as if something may be turning on and then off again (a pump or something) - I thought maybe it might somehow be associated with whatever allows the car to be started when the brake pedal is pressed down, but not sure - any ideas would be helpful - thanks.

About the only thing I can think of that would make that noise is the ABS pump. If it is turning on every time you push the brake pedal you either have an accumulator that's really shot, or you are very low on brake fluid. I'd at least check the fluid first. Is the brake pedal soft/hard/normal to push?

Hope that helps.

-Chris

Ok, then the next step.

When you push the brake pedal and that noise occurs, do either the Brake or ABS lights come on? If both of them come on after one pedal push or two, then that accumulator is probably shot. Mine takes about three pedal compressions to trigger the pump, and I know I need to replace that part.

Good luck with your diagnosis.

-Chris

how much is it to replace the acculator btw, i think mine might need it, my pedle is soft. but after a few pumps its normal if a little while. matt

Matt, if you have a soft pedal and you can pump it up, it sounds to me like you could possibly have air in the lines. try bleeding them before you replace anything, fluid's cheap...Bill

Back