Mandrel Exhaust Systems... rear muffler size

notime

To those that have installed the Mandrel Exhaust Systems 2.5" kit on a wide (early) fuel tank, what length and offset mufflers did you use on the rear? If you were choosing mufflers for this kit again what would you do different.

I am looking for a system that will be as quite as possible, while maintaning enough flow to support a maximum of 350 whp, and would like the exhuast to end where the stock exhaust does. For reference my setup will have cats and a Magnaflow "x" style resonator along with an undecided pair of mufflers.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

To those that have installed the Mandrel Exhaust Systems 2.5" kit on a wide (early) fuel tank, what length and offset mufflers did you use on the rear? If you were choosing mufflers for this kit again what would you do different.

I am looking for a system that will be as quite as possible, while maintaning enough flow to support a maximum of 350 whp, and would like the exhuast to end where the stock exhaust does. For reference my setup will have cats and a Magnaflow "x" style resonator along with an undecided pair of mufflers.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

I used a set of Pypes stainless 2.5" in/out. I had a shop install those from the rear axle back with tips of my choice. On my other car I have Borlaxs

I used a set of Pypes stainless 2.5" in/out. I had a shop install those from the rear axle back with tips of my choice. On my other car I have Borlaxs

If you were to do it again would you choose a different muffler?

If you were to do it again would you choose a different length or offset?

What is the length and offset of the case on the Borla muffler?

Between the Pypes and Borla, which one did you prefer as far as fitment and sound?

If you were to do it again would you choose a different muffler?

If you were to do it again would you choose a different length or offset?

What is the length and offset of the case on the Borla muffler?

Between the Pypes and Borla, which one did you prefer as far as fitment and sound?

I am happy with both. The borlas are quiter but I they dont dump to the floor so its not a good gauge for comparision. When you dump to the pavement the sound bounces and it sounds louder.
The Pypes I had center out to the side in. The borlas from memory are center in and center out.

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Exhaust009.jpg

I've got cats and the X-box in the middle and Borla's out back, it drones in the cab. It sounds great if your alone in the car but if you're trying to hold a conversation with someone at 70 MPH in 5th you have to speak up to be heard.

If you're looking for a subdued sound I would not go with the X-box or straight through mufflers. If I had it to do again (and I very well may) I would use the magnaflow DI/DO crossover midpipe and mustang GT take off mufflers, or some other makers non-straight-through style muff.

Im getting ready to buy this exhaust system and i need an opinion, should I stick with the x-pipe or buy the resonator with it?

Im getting ready to buy this exhaust system and i need an opinion, should I stick with the x-pipe or buy the resonator with it?

Yes.

It rather depends on what tone you want.

The resonator will HELP reduce the drone, the X pipe will help increase the horsepower.

I'd pick resonator and put clamp-on extensions so you can clamp on various mufflers until you get a muffler/tip combination you like, but that's me.

RwP

The X-pipe does not increase HP, just noise. Get a resonator, that is the solution to all sound problems.

The Borla's are great, well worth the money but they have to be used with a resonator. Don't have any use for Magnaflow. I've been using them for years and every single one I've installed has burned out eventually and had to be removed because they sound terrible when all the fiberglass burns out. I no longer use them.

I recommend the Borla Di/Do resonator and mufflers. If you want the car quieter, opt for the smaller pipes. 2.25" pipes will be significantly quieter than 2.5" and won't cost you any hp until perhaps when you exceed 400rwhp.

I would like to install the 19" Borla Pro XS but the price of two = ouch!

Thanks for everyones input,

Chris

Back