Need CA Smog advice

sd_iconoclast

my '89 SC recently failed a smog check here in CA.
The puzzling thing is that it failed on both NO and HC emissions, although not by much.
I completely rebuilt the engine in '05. I also replaced virtually every emission part at that time, including O2 sensors and Cats, but not the MAF. In fact, I do not believe tha MAF has ever been replaced.
Last time around (2009), I failed NO but passed later by pulling the SPOUT.
This time I pulled the SPOUT and bot NO and HC were high.
The only thing I know of that might be wrong is that the engine burns alot of oil. I probably go through two quarts a month. That has been true since the rebuild. I seem to recall that there was some irregularity with the valve seals at that time.
will replacing O2 sensors or the MAF help both HC and NO emissions?
Any other ideas?

We truckers like to say,

Ahhhh....

Welcome to California.... The Land of Regulation!!!

Just don't repeat that, I'm sure there's some kinda fine they can stick you with too....:eek:

Last edited:
No fine for failing, your car is just labeled as a High emitter profile and it will show up on the vehicle history report. And you still have to fix the problem - some smog shops give you a free re-test within 30 days, some do not and you have to pay for another smog test.

Could be bad Catalytic converter(s) .. one or both.

Could be a bad ignition, not completely burning fuel = plugs or wires.

If you take your vehicle to a shop for repair after failing smog in California, the shop needs to have a smog certified tech repair the problem.

high NOX and HCs usually point to bad cats, but can also be from cylinders too hot...if fuel isnt being burned due to bad spark

where abouts in Ca do you live?

high NOX and HCs usually point to bad cats, but can also be from cylinders too hot...if fuel isnt being burned due to bad spark

where abouts in Ca do you live?

Cats are pretty new, but obviously something must be wrong.
No codes are set and the car runs well. I will try the ignition thing this weekend.

I live in San Diego

I've seen new cats or newish cats not perform...are yours 3-way CA cats?

also you wont always see a code or CEL if you are running lean from a vacuum leak or for other reasons

you can tell by the heat of the cat but you might not have the right tools for that...04 is a long time ago for a non stock cat

If you are burning that much oil you have very possibly ruined the cats. That it passed the first time only barely is testament to new cats. They will degrade quickly if burning a lot of oil. Do your plugs get a lot of deposits on them? What do they look like? Have you changed them recently?

Back