Possible starter or ignition solenoid messup?

syphon

So tonight I noticed a fairly new problem. When I started my engine, I heard a sound that could best be described as metal thrashing around in my engine. It would last for about 10 seconds after starting and then it would go away.

It happened about 4 times and it would go away in 10 seconds or so. Just now, I was at the store. I started my car and heard the noise, but it didnt go away. I drove all the way home with it (a short drive) and got into the driveway. I went to shut the car off, but it was like the starter was stuck trying to start the car. As soon as I turn the key off, the motor would go to just cranking over, just like you were trying to start it. As soon as I put the key back in the on position, the engine would start right up again.

I was starting to panic and ran inside looking for something to disconnect the battery, but luckily the noise randomly stopped and I was able to shut my car down.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Anyone know whats causing it?

sounds like your solenoid or switch

I don't remember alot about these type of problems because it's very rare when it happens but here's what i think;

First verify if the starter relay is functioning correctly- it should not stay connected or on after the engine fires up. If the relay is stuck after initiating the starter then you either have an ignition circuit problem or the relay is the culprit. The relay is mounted on the driver's side inner wall somewhere between the battery and the wiper reservoir. Second, the solenoid may not be disengaging. I would definitely replace the solenoid or just replace the starter if you find that this is the problem. It's not all that expensive and is fairly easy to do on your own.

If you have the time and know how, you can take the starter motor out of the car and connect the solenoid to the battery to see if it stays stuck after releasing.

Hope this helps-

Either the solenoid has failed electrically, or the armature used to drive the starter gear out has failed allowing the starter gear to not return.

Check for obvious issues like loose wires, but in general, such a problem calls for rebuilding or replacing the starter and solenoid.

It's being fairly sporadic. I just went outside to test the car, and it started just fine several times. I hate problems like that... encouraging me not to worry about it.

Does anyone know offhand how much it will cost to have this repaired? I'm thinking the starter is fine, but the ignition solenoid is the culprit. I could be wrong however.

Anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Seattle area? I'm comfortable changing the oil or replacing an alternator or something, but i know nothing about starters.

Back