ABS Pump

evil1

My ABS pump is giving me fits! Went to change the accumulator and fluid last week I have the same replacement part as the one that was on the pump, pump was working fine. When I changed the accumulator the pump failed to pump the system back up. I have tried every thing thinking that air is trapped, removed accumulator, cracked the line to the master cyl. and nothing. pump motor is working but will not make pressure. I have done this many times and have never had a problem, I even tried a spare pump and that did not work. Has anyone had this happen and what was the outcome?

I had the same thing happen...

I recently had to replace my acc. ball. When I first swapped it out it had air trapped somewhere and would not build pressure. The ball would shake and make terrible noises trying to compress the fluid/air in the mc and acc assembly. I called ford techs and got told to hit the bricks, not even suggestions offered. Frustrated I just winged it and loosened the acc ball about 2 turns and positioned rags under/around the base. I turned on the key and let the pump push the air and some (decent amount actually) fluid out of the ball and as this continued I slowly cranked it down tight. This helped considerably, and If the teves wasn't already dying to begin with I would wager it got rid of %90+ of the trapped air issue and made it driveable again for a while..
Hope this helps.. It most likely is the wrong way to fix the problem, but it did the trick for a couple months. I will not be putting any more time & money into the funky abs, waiting for my new components to arrive for the non-abs swap. Buh-bye f+&@ing teves2

I usually just pump the pedal a few times to prime the pump and it kicks in on its own. When the whole thing sits over night, the air will push back out into the reservoir. Eventually the air all works itself out. You can speed up the process by bleeding the rear lines.

pump

I don't know how this got reposted but it's really old. It turns out I did end up having to have the pump rebuilt by SAI. The main reason I wanted to change the accumulator was it seemed to take longer to pump up on start up and the fluid was getting dark. My theory on why the pump failed is because of heat transfer at the proportioning valve which is almost touching the kooks long tube headers. I relocated the valve to a lower point on the frame rail for more air gap and a heat shield. Over heated brake fluid can't possibly be good for the component life. I will be doing a write up on relocating the valve soon.

Back