Need the Experts Eyes

snakesm13

Took off the intake manifold to remove a broken bolt and I was just wondering how everything looks to the more seasoned mechanic. I'm not sure what good looks like much less bad so does anything stick out or raise a flag?

6877235613_bde9729b25_z.jpg

6877236063_7bde73e096_b.jpg

6877235229_09e7d3492e_b.jpg

6877236831_13e8408ce9_b.jpg

6877236491_6007e1ab24_b.jpg

I'm wondering if these are the stock injectors:
6877238427_f2dd7f7753_b.jpg

6877238195_b2cf5f8b87_z.jpg

also if they seem to be in good shape or I was thinking of upgrading to 42# while I'm in it this far.
Can that gasket be reused for the intake (seemed to be in good shape still, no crushing or tears.
or is it always best to get a new one?

Supercharger seems to spin freely and smooth I was just concerned with how much liquid gasket there was inside, should that be fine or should I be alarmed?
6877237271_f524b15041_b.jpg

6877237781_cd72c641b7_b.jpg

Also do the numbers inside of the SC mean anything of importance?

Thanks to anyone that has any input, positive or negative and please ask any questions or advice for me going further.

Those are stock injectors

Get new gaskets for the manifold

Clean the supercharger and use much less RTV to seal next time. Numbers do not mean squat

Inside of engine looks good, maybe clean those water passeges

I agree with 90cougar. Also make sure the threads are good in the blower where the top bolts down. Looks like they may have put all that silicone on there to compensate for something. Make sure the blower top flange is flat too.

If you do injectors you need a tune or a MAF to make it right.

Your engine looks to be free of oil sludge which is good. Your coolant system looks like it has been neglected though. You have a completely clogged intake port and there is significant build up around the heads rear coolant port. I would clean and do a good flush after I put it back together.

Mark

I never reuse gaskets. Always put new on while you are there to keep from having to re do the job later. Not sure if they are still available but the teflon gasket for the SC top would be a good idea. I do check to make sure the surfaces are flat also just like mentioned. How many miles on the motor? You are already this far so doing head gaskets would not be that much more. Good luck. Chief

I never reuse gaskets. Always put new on while you are there to keep from having to re do the job later. Not sure if they are still available but the teflon gasket for the SC top would be a good idea. I do check to make sure the surfaces are flat also just like mentioned. How many miles on the motor? You are already this far so doing head gaskets would not be that much more.
I just bought the car in December and it hasn't left the driveway yet.
The Odometer says 208K and I was told the engine had the head gaskets replaced a year or so ago and the supercharger rebuilt.
May be a good idea to get the entire upper gasket set and have piece of mind.
What is the best way to check if the surface is smooth and flat?

If you do injectors you need a tune or a MAF to make it right.
I have a thread in the WTB section looking for those and some other parts if anyone has them.

You have a completely clogged intake port and there is significant build up around the heads rear coolant port.
Which ones are you refering too? It seemed to me the rear two are not ports and are solid on the manifold portion which to me would make sense why the buildup is there, if it is supose to be open then I have BIG problems because it seems solid metal to me! :eek:
But a good flushing is in its future.

Those are stock injectors

Get new gaskets for the manifold

Clean the supercharger and use much less RTV to seal next time. Numbers do not mean squat

Inside of engine looks good, maybe clean those water passeges

Thanks to everyone for getting back to me so fast and for the help!

You have a completely clogged intake port and there is significant build up around the heads rear coolant port.
Mark
Actually not a problem. The only crossover in the intake manifold itself is at the front. Still it wouldn't hurt to clean out the build up.

After I posted, I realized the back ports are actually sealed on the SC intake. Sorry about the mistake.

Mark

I'm thinking if the head gaskets are only a year old why is there so much crud in the coolant passage and did he reuse the torque to yield headbolts. To be on the safe side I'd do the head gaskets and use ARP head studs. Good luck with your new ride.

Scott

If u do decide to upgrade injectors now go at least 60lbers u will thank yourself later...

Also not to point ou the obvious but some of the injector harness tape is hanging into your engine valley underneath the manifold gasket make sure u cut that baby back

If u do decide to upgrade injectors now go at least 60lbers u will thank yourself later...

Also not to point ou the obvious but some of the injector harness tape is hanging into your engine valley underneath the manifold gasket make sure u cut that baby back

With 60# injectors is the only options to get a tune or QH? Or are there any mafs options. (currently have stock mafs)

The tape took me by surprise too, I thought it had been installed that way until closer inspection. :rolleyes:

What is the best way to check if the surface is smooth and flat?

Doing it at home, get a piece of glass bigger than the SC and lay it on a flat surface (Work bench) set the SC on it without breaking it and run a feeler gauge around it where it meets the glass. If the gauge goes under in spots its not flat. Take it to a shop and have them even it out.

I cringed seeing oily metal on your paint job! I'd lay down an old blanket or something to keep it from getting scratched, dented and dirty.

Like mentioned earlier headgaskets would be a good idea. If you decide to go ahead with headgaskets make sure that you have an accurate torque wrench. I got mine with very little milage on a freshly redone motor due to inaccurately torqued head studs every bolt and nut was loose.

Not sure if they are still available but the teflon gasket for the SC top would be a good idea.

I don't recommend that, unless the supercharger bolt holes have already had steel thread inserts installed. I found the case bolt holes are way too easy to strip, so I had problems when using a gasket under the SC top. You can't get enough clamping force to squish the gasket without tearing out the bolt hole threads. If you don't want to put in inserts, I would recommend sealant at that connection.

just a thought

while it adds a bit more work...think about doing the head gaskets with ARP replacement studs...that way you know its done to your specs (2.8 chevy, i believe work fine and are a few bucks cheaper)

buy new bolts for the manifold and any thing that sits on top of it..buy grade 12 replacements

if you decide to do the heads - maybe gasket match the ports and maybe clean up the inside exhaust out-let

cheers

I don't recommend that, unless the supercharger bolt holes have already had steel thread inserts installed. I found the case bolt holes are way too easy to strip, so I had problems when using a gasket under the SC top. You can't get enough clamping force to squish the gasket without tearing out the bolt hole threads. If you don't want to put in inserts, I would recommend sealant at that connection.

Thanks for sharing that. I was contemplating that thought just the other day.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.
Seems to be the consensus so Head Gaskets it is!
I'm assuming Supercoupeperfomance is the best place to get the correct gaskets and ARP studs, if not someone please chime in!
Also I think I decided to stick with getting 42# injectors as this is going to be a "reliable" backup vehicle and used on trips to visit the in-laws.
My other SC will be the one I build up.

So if anyone has 42# injectors I will be needing them.

Thanks again to everyone.

I will also get a blanket to cover the paint, I am usually pretty careful but was in a hurry to get the pictures before it got too dark.

Back