Harmonic Balancer for 89 SC

drlance

I need a replacement Harmonic Balancer for a 89 SC. The Dorman # is for a 90...but says it doesn't have a part # for the 89......

Will it work or is the 89 a '1 year' deal???

Lance Sikorski

89-93 3.8 SC motor use the same balancer. Most places selling Dorman balancers have the wrong part number listed and it's actually for a normally aspirated 3.8 that uses a counterweight on the balancer. The SC balancer is netural balance and won't have a counterweight.

This is the Dorman Balancer that is supposed to fit 89-93 SC.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...google&utm_campaign=value3&utm_content=value4

If you plan on keeping the car, you are better off spending the extra $ and getting a BHJ balancer with a steel hub.

David

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!!

Now, I just have to figure out whether the crank is cast or forged..... seems the 89 used both depending on when it was built!!!

Does the BHJ fit either one??? because the FORD book calls for different balancers...depending on which crank is in the motor....

Last edited:
Thanks guys!!!

Now, I just have to figure out whether the crank is cast or forged..... seems the 89 used both depending on when it was built!!!

Does the BHJ fit either one??? because the FORD book calls for different balancers...depending on which crank is in the motor....

I would make the assumption that you have a forged crank, because the cast cranks are extremely rare.

David

Unfortunately.....

Unfortunately, after e-mailing John at Silver state FORD a couple times with part numbers, VIN and 'stuff'.... I have the Rare Cast Crank, that is Externally balanced..... BHJ doesn't fit that one!!!!

Anyone have ANY idea what to do now....short of finding a forged crank and doing a rebiuld????

Unfortunately, after e-mailing John at Silver state FORD a couple times with part numbers, VIN and 'stuff'.... I have the Rare Cast Crank, that is Externally balanced..... BHJ doesn't fit that one!!!!

Anyone have ANY idea what to do now....short of finding a forged crank and doing a rebiuld????

Please post of picture of your balancer. If it's like you say it is, I think one from a 3.8 NA Tbird that same year will fit.

David

decided to use the 'stock' dorman balancer.... Fits perfect!! runs great!!

Thank you for all the help!! I went 'stock' because in talking to my favorite mechanic.... we don't have a machine shop in the area that he would trust to 'zero balance' anything!!! let alone a BHJ balancer, timing ring and pulley assembly......
Plus, I will probably only keep the SC about 2 more years.... Then my ranchero SHOULD be done!! I'll have more 'toys' than places to park them.... Plus 'Momma' already made her opinion on the matter known.....lol And we ALL know that if Momma isn't happy.....

decided to use the 'stock' dorman balancer.... Fits perfect!! runs great!!

Thank you for all the help!! I went 'stock' because in talking to my favorite mechanic.... we don't have a machine shop in the area that he would trust to 'zero balance' anything!!! let alone a BHJ balancer, timing ring and pulley assembly......
Plus, I will probably only keep the SC about 2 more years.... Then my ranchero SHOULD be done!! I'll have more 'toys' than places to park them.... Plus 'Momma' already made her opinion on the matter known.....lol And we ALL know that if Momma isn't happy.....

When you say stock Dorman, are you talking about this unit ?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...google&utm_campaign=value3&utm_content=value4

David

Back