Replaced The M/C on the SC...the pedal is still junk

Smkn600ctd

Replaced the M/C on the SC and its really no better than before.

I bleed all four wheels myself. Same crappy pedal. Its fine with the engine off (firm pedal), but once the engine is running, you can easily push the pedal to the floor.

Soooooo I took it to Ford and paid them to do a "electronic" bleed, which people told me was necessary because of the TevesIV ABS module. Well.....its the exact same crappy pedal. The car stops "ok" but its not as confident as the 4.6, and the system has pressure as the "firm ride" light comes on almost down to the floor.

I know its not in my head, because the pedal on the 94 4.6 is wayyyyyyy better than the one on the SC.

Any other ideas? All of the wheels/calipers are dry and the fluid isn't dropping, so its not leaking anywhere.

Max
1996 T-Bird LX Sport
1995 T-Bird SC. Bone Stock
1994 T-Bird LX 4.6 - SC wheels with 235's, K&N, Sport Brakes
1984 T-Bird Élan 5.0
2009 Dodge Charger Daytona
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD.....tooo many mods
1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Convertible 455.

Yes, and then bleed them myself. Then took it to Ford for them to do a "electronic" bleed, to get the lines/ABS pump/valves bleed. No better.

I don't know much about the Tevees IV system, but have you checked the brake pressure switch up under the right front fender area.....

The teves brake system is easy to bleed. Get yourself another person, hold brake pedal down then crack one bleeder at a time. With the teves system you never have to pump the pedal back up, just hold it down while the pump runs enough out that you are happy then move on. In the end if you are not happy with your pedal then you master cylinder is probably bad. When you bench bleed a m/c you have to make sure not to push the valve in all the way otherwise you will ruin the seal and never get a good pedal.

Otherwise make sure all your caliper sliders are moving properly. If one is hung up that may cause pedal problems also.

The booster has nothing to do with soft pedal. My guess is you have a bad m/c whether you caused it or got a bad part.

Last edited:
It's been bleed by me 2 times. Ford bleed the brakes after that. The 93-95 have to use a special tool for the abs pump.

Check your rotors. :eek: Some rotors do not seat fully down on the hubs, either binding on the step on the hub or binding on the studs. Some studs have a substantial shoulder that sticks out from the hub, some do not. If your rotors do not sit down 100% flat with the hub, the rotor will not run true. If the rotor does not run true it pushes the brake pads backward which means that each time you push the brake pedal you have to overcome a lot of slack before they grab. Trust me, I've been through this more than once. In none of the cases did I feel any pulsing in the pedal even though you'd think that would be the first thing you'd notice.

Came across this thread, which is a little old, but I just wondered if you ever found a resolution.

To me, it sounds like it might be an internal leak in the MC, which is allowing pressurized fluid to sneak back into the reservoir.

Back