Power steering problem

johnwartjr

I think I have a power steering problem.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the problem.

The reservoir on the pump is full. It's had a slow leak for the 8 years or so I've owned the car, when I say slow, I mean a leak that you had to top off every year or two.

Sometimes, when moving at very slow speeds (ie backing out of parking spots), the car acts like it has no power steering.

Also, sometimes the front end 'shudders' when moving at slow speeds and turning. I don't recall it being any different one way than the other.

I recently got a rude awakening on how difficult it is to steer a SC with no power steering, the idler on the main drive belt froze and the car threw a belt. I had to drive 2 miles to park the car with no PS, and it was the hardest car I've ever tried to steer, without PS!

the idler on the main drive belt froze and the car threw a belt.

If one has crapped out on you then it might be time to replace all the pulleys and power steering pump. Freshen it up and see how it behaves.

I would also make sure all the pulleys in your engine turn without force.

A/C
Alternator
Idler pulleys
JackShaft
Water Pump

power steering pump

sounds like your p/s pump is done get a reman and get all the old fluid out of the system. you should change the fluid every year use type F trans fluid. these systems don't like old dirty fluid it will clog the actuator on the pump and cause your speed sensitive steering to go haywire and that can be a real thrill in a sweeping curve at high speed, like an on ramp.

Power steering pump looks inexpensive enough, how difficult is it to change? Any special tools required?

I need to change the water pump anyways, it looks like the pulley has to come off the PS pump to change the water pump?

power steering pump

Yes you will need a puller for the pulley the same tool will also reinstall it too. a good auto parts store should sell them.

Yes you will need a puller for the pulley the same tool will also reinstall it too. a good auto parts store should sell them.

There is a tool out there that just pulls and doesn't reinstall. So watch out for that!

I've been putting off changing the water pump for awhile, as I saw I would have to pull the PS pump pulley to get at the bolts - so it looks like I'm finally going to install the water pump I bought, too!

I'll order 2 idlers with the PS pump, are all 3 tensioner pulleys the same? I put new belts on last year, so they should be good. I have new hoses to go with the water pump, all 3.

Anything else I should look at while I am in there and have the front of the engine pulled apart?

Anything else I should look at while I am in there and have the front of the engine pulled apart?

Check your motor mounts and negative battery cable.

Be aware that the lower IC tube probably has some oil pooled in it from the PCV system.

Also, check for leaks at the sensor mounted to the brake proportioning valve.

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited:
Well, just ordered the PS pump. Any tips for installing a new water pump? The PS pump and water pump shouldn't be that tough to change out, I don't think. Just gotta find time!

The PS pump and water pump shouldn't be that tough to change out, I don't think. Just gotta find time!
LOL. Those are the same words I have uttered sooo many times. Usually though I phrase the this way: This (fill in your SC job description) can NOT be this dammed hard. :D :D No.. just be sure you get the pulley puller tool and life will be a lot better.

I would recommend SCP 's hi tension springs for the tensioners, Bill also has the steel idler pullies at what seems reasonable. Newest SC is 17, and it's a good bet the springs have never really had any relief from tension, and if they are soft enough to alow belt slip it may get ya' a couple extra HP:D
Adam

I already have 3 new idlers that are plastic like the originals. My new PS pump is at the parts store, waiting on my pickup.

Will I need to remove the intercooler? I know when I replaced the alternator, I had to remove the top from the supercharger all the way to the intercooler, but I believe I left the intercooler in place.

It looks like the pulley removal tool will be a tight fit if the intercooler is in place.

My car is a daily driver, not a passion like it once was, so I am trying to do my repairs on a budget. My hope is to keep it going for as long as possible, and perhaps someday have the means to restore it. The car has a bit of rust, and the paint isn't super shiny anymore, the interior has a few rips, but it is still the car I drooled over when I was in High School :)

Its supposed to be 60 and sunny today, 65 and windy tomorrow. If I start on the car when I get off work at 5 and could work for 2-3 hours before I run out of light and it gets chilly, how far along in this process do you guess I would be? Perhaps I should just take a vacation day tomorrow, and tackle it then.

Its supposed to be 60 and sunny today, 65 and windy tomorrow. If I start on the car when I get off work at 5 and could work for 2-3 hours before I run out of light and it gets chilly, how far along in this process do you guess I would be? Perhaps I should just take a vacation day tomorrow, and tackle it then.

To replace power steering and water pumps? Hmm. I wouldn't try it tonight. I would expect 5 to 6 hours total. The vacation day is probably a much better idea.

On a SC?
Figure the amount of time you THINK it should take........

Then TRIPLE it:p

Then add in a little more for s~~~ that breaks or is discovered in the middle of the job:mad:

Adam

On a SC?
Figure the amount of time you THINK it should take........

Then TRIPLE it:p

Then add in a little more for s~~~ that breaks or is discovered in the middle of the job:mad:

Adam

Oh yeah, I forgot that you should buy all new hoses for the water pump job. At least the little ones. They are HARD to get off at times. So I have been known to cut them.

The parts store sold me

Fenco pump P/N SP16383

Can anyone confirm or deny it's the right pump? I've not been able to find any info online, and I know the SC has variable steering...

Just found the info on Fenco's site....

The pump I got reads:

Exc. Variable Assist Power Steering

Back to the parts store I go!

Fenco shows 4 PS pump options.

SP16259 wo/Res 3.8L 6 Cyl V 232cid w/Variable Assist Power Steering
SP16259 wo/Res 3.8L 6 Cyl V 232cid Exc. Variable Assist Power Steering
SP16383 w/Res 3.8L 6 Cyl V 232cid Exc. Variable Assist Power Steering
SP16386 w/Res 3.8L 6 Cyl V 232cid w/Variable Assist Power Steering

So, if I buy without reservoir, it's the same PS pump, SP16259

But, if I buy with reservoir, I have 2 choices

That makes no sense. Is the variable assist stuff in the reservoir?

Will I need to remove the intercooler? I know when I replaced the alternator, I had to remove the top from the supercharger all the way to the intercooler, but I believe I left the intercooler in place.

It looks like the pulley removal tool will be a tight fit if the intercooler is in place.
Yes. You'll dent it otherwise. It'll take less time with it out of the way. As far as removing the upper IC tube, yes also. You might just unbolt and tie back the windhield washer tank to get to the bracket bolt that holds the tube to the bracket. May as well take the battery out to get some elbow room.

If you haven't already figure it out, you take the upper IC tube and the SC top off as 1 piece and don't mess with the big collar nut. You can also use Black RTV as a sealer for the tubes if you need to.

Back