Ignition control module

jeymie'sSC

Can someone comment on exactly what the function is for the "ignition control module"???? I have a 89 SC
Thanks

Can someone comment on exactly what the function is for the "ignition control module"???? I have a 89 SC
Thanks

It fits in the distributor and, with the sensor (hall effect or magnetoresistive), replaces the points.

I don't think you have one. Isn't your SC using a DIS not a distributor?

RwP

Just my .02 cents worth; if you plan on keeping the SC, the first thing you need to do is purchase the proper shop manual for the car. Unless you have deep pockets you most certainly will need to "understand" the workings of your car. I have had 2 of these and they are not for the weak of heart. The ignition system is easy, really. Wait till you start on the brakes. Have fun.

Thanks

It receives signals from the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and outputs the primary ignition pulse in the proper sequence. That pulse goes into the coil pack, where it is converted to the high-voltage pulse that reaches the spark plugs.

In the early model SCs (1989-1993), the ignition module is pretty important. It's a lot more complex than the old ignition modules (TFI modules) that were on distributor-equipped Ford cars.

If the distributorless ignition module goes bad, the car will misfire badly.

Back