Crank Sensor

CountryBird

I think my crank sensor is on its way out last night hit the switch and nothing. lights didnt go dim just would'nt crank. I had it replace about 2 years ago at local Ford dealer ouch..... How hard is it to replace and do you need any special tools to install it.

Thanks
JimmyB
'94 SC
199,975 Dang And I was hope to make it 200,000

when you say it wouldnt crank do you mean it just clicked? or tried to fire but just wouldnt start...... if its just clicking thats something entirely different, like maybe neutrol saftey switch or something, when my crank sensor went in july, i was driving the c car and the upshift light came on, car acted like it ran out of gas. then it wouldnt restart, it would crank but not start..... and the upshift light stayed on while cranking.

hope this helps

hmm doesnt sound quite like the crank sensor to me, but i dunno.... when mine went, it WENT!, the last person to work on the car had improperly positioned the wires from the crank sensor too close to the supercharger belt and the belt cut the wires.

The crank sensor is used to set base timing by the engine management computer. It has nothing to do with the physical act of the engine being turned over by the starter.

If your engine didn't crank over, it's not the crank sensor. Instead it could be a loose battery cable, a bad battery cable, a loose connection on the starter, a loose connection on the solenoid, or a failing solenoid.

also, if your car is an automatic, check the neutrol safety switch, if those start acting up the car will click like when its in D or R and not start

Another no start on no crank?

If the engine doesn't crank, that has zilcho to do with any of the sensors. If it cranks, but doesn't start, then it could be a sensor.

Which is it?

Back