exhaust question

90coug

I picked up some KOOK headers for my bird. They have the EGR fitted to the 89-93 cars. Well, I have a 94-95 and I really want to keep my EGR for the ease of passing emissions in the future.

Problem is the EGR doesn't fit on these headers. Has anyone run into this issue? Anyone have a solution? I think I might end up selling them but really wanted to use them.

I'm thinking maybe just grab an old broken fitting, jam it with some JBWeld, pinch it off, screw it on the header and remove my EGR from the car. That way the headers will stay in perfect condition if I ever need to remove and sell.

I also have a friend with a pipe bender and he's explained that he would be willing to create some custom headers for me. Maybe I can find some notes from someone here on how to develop some headers? This would be really cool if I could do that. I guess what I need to know is, where to locate the EGR fitting, angle of bend, type of material etc......

It's all new to me (header creation) so any tips and tricks you can throw my way will be big help. Of course, the best solution would be to use my current headers and figure out a way to get the EGR to work.

Thanks in advnace,

Bryce

Last edited:
I also have a friend with a pipe bender and he's explained that he would be willing to create some custom headers for me.

Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper for him to extend your EGR pipe to fit the headers you have?

(This assumes that there is a straight section of tubing that could be welded or brazed to.)

Are these mid or full length?

These are mid-length

Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper for him to extend your EGR pipe to fit the headers you have?

(This assumes that there is a straight section of tubing that could be welded or brazed to.)

I suppose so, but I wanted to keep the EGR pipe un-touched. In case I go back to my stockers.

I would use an 89-93 EGR tube but the 94-95 has two pipes branching off it.

I suppose so, but I wanted to keep the EGR pipe un-touched. In case I go back to my stockers.

I would use an 89-93 EGR tube but the 94-95 has two pipes branching off it.

Aha. I see your logic, and I agree that is a good idea. (Since unbroken EGR pipes are hard to find.) My next best suggestion is that you look through these pictures, find the closest match, and use that as a starting point.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=ford+egr+tube

Good stuff, thanks S_Mazza, I'll see if I can take some measurements and find a good solution. This might be my best bet.

Glad to help ... not that I did that much. I hope it works out - it's an interesting conundrum. Too bad you can't go shop a selection of EGR pipes ... it would be a lot easier to match things up in person. (I don't know if Ford dealers stock that stuff?)

The kooks headers for 89 and 94/95 SC are the same. If it has EGR its the same. There is only one connection to the header. I am not understanding whats going on here??? Have a photo?

Back