power steering fun -- need assistance

anlo

okay all of a sudden today the metal high pressure line popped out at the pump pushed it back in drove home with no p/s

fluid pouring out all the way so the pump is still good but i hAVE another to replace with got the pump out but how the heck do yall get that stupid " winding all over the place " pump hose/line free ? it appears theres no way without removing lower intercooler tube or maybe rack and pinion .. im stuck . just said screw it and had to walk away. for the night..where ever the other end goes it seems loose past that block deal which is where i think need to be separated.. and then where in the world would i find a crazy hose/line like that? i know they dont make them anymore??? any words of wisdom would be appreciated.. thanks

SDC10003.jpg

pippp.jpg

kikk.jpg

illus.jpg

Last edited:
Ive never been able to do it w/o removing the whole LH side psp bracket, IC tubes, etc. Its frankly, a bi**h of a job. When you do it, Id advise replacing the hardened hose that clamps onto the R&P return outlet, even if you have to cut/splice in a length of it. It will save a lot of swearing in the future.

That elbow in your picture should be loose when the hose is not connected. The longer thing in the back right at the tip of your red arrow should also move freely with no hose on it.. thats the one that I'm talking about replace the hose if its hardened.

Last edited:
You can still buy the high pressure PS line. I bought mine from Advance Auto. It is a real pain but it is possible. Just take your time.

I use an 18mm crows foot with an extension to get those loose.

The elbow fitting for the rack itself, if you bend it, it can get loose and leak at that fitting also. I havent been able to find these aftermarket for replacement, so I save old ones ..

When I remove the rack, I also have to undo one of the fittings, or else it will get hung up.

- Dan

line

ordered a replacement h/p line today 39.99 still stupid configuration did any one ever find a logical reason for the design ? starting to remove parts gona try just lower i/c pipe only first see where im at im sure i will need to remove more but might get lucky.. need valve covers so might just take top off as well.. degreased everything for a cleaner work area my hands are still black from fooling with it last night... messy messy a little worried about the elbow at the rack it definately wiggles some but maybe normal...

my 95 has a small p/s leak could be about time for something to happen soon

also found i needed to re torque bolts on the water pump i just replaced they had some more turns had a tiny leak.

NOT" top tube had to come off removed line
the elbow at the rack does seem mighty loose i dont see how it wouldnt leak i can push it in and out just a bit is this truely normal? i really want to get it off but cant see any possible way to get at it what have you guys used ? i could get an 18mm wrench on it but have no where to go just to crowded in that area... are you telling me it would require dropping rack/pinion ? i just dont see it maybe theres a special wrench for the application ? any ideas i have till tuesday to figure it out and then where would i find another elbow if needed are most t birds the same? on this part... thanks for input ..

SDC10028.jpg

SDC10026.jpg

SDC10020.jpg

Last edited:
That elbow at the rack is the same across 89-97 Thunderbirds, as far as I know.

I am not sure how loose or tight it should be. My guess would be, if it doesn't leak, leave it alone.

I think there is some room to get at the rack fittings once the lower IC tube is out. But the other alternative is to lower the rack a little.

cool

picked up the illusive part a t the boneyard $1.34 still a b**** to get at still dont see why line couldnt go straight to the rack?? one of those crack smoking engineer deals i guess... .. 18mm crows foot finally got it now to try to get mine off... definately mot as much play in the one i got compared to the one on there. its supposed to twist but not wiggle real bad. tomorrow the stupid excessive line comes in and shoul be back on the road again.. as usual its been another learning exp... cant wait to see whats next.......... thanks guys...

SDC10033.jpg

Last edited:
My guess on the extra length in the power steering line is that it probably allows for some strain relief, or even vibration damping. I doubt it was just to torment you. :)

giving up

giving up on removing mine physically impossible to get a bite just going to put new line on and hope for the best leaking or not even thought of cutting existing elbow off to get a socket over it but scared i couldnt get new one on tight enough... ill take suggestions but looks like this one got me....balancers mounts plugs piece of cake compared to this craziness... maybe raising engine a little i dont know..

RAISING ENGINE WORKED I WAS ABLE TO GET IT HALF THE BATTLE IS OVER NOW TO GET NEW ONE ON TIGHT ENOUGH... LESSON LEARNED NEVER GIVE UP !!!!!!

Last edited:
Interesting. Are your motor mounts in good condition? If they are worn out, the engine may be sitting lower than normal.

They dont need to be Super tight .. they have those Teflon O rings and they will leak if over tightened. Make sure you put new O rings on, and pre-stretch them to get over the threads, better to take your time and do it all right while youre at it. Once you get it loose, it should unthread fairly smoothly, especially if you unbolt the lines and take the tension off it. I usually end up with the 18mm crows foot turning a little at a time by hand. It can be a real pain.

- Dan

Anlo,

Are you using a flare nut wrench on that sucker? It really makes a world of difference. Do it once, do it right. Take your time........ Leaks are a mess and make your driveway look like trash.......

57537d1209518644-brake-performance-upgrade-how-flarenut-wrench.jpg

P.S. If you haven't I would remove the accessory bracket and give yourself some room to work.

Worst part is over

done until i get pressure line in tomorrow mounts are fresh it just gave me enough to catch a bite with the crows foot. dont think i will ever do that job again just sell the car get another. absolutely no fun at all.. as i stated the 95 has a leak but its coming from the pump area so i might handle that one but no more elbows ever...

job complete

finished with no leaks put a mix of type f valv high mileage and a tad of lucas transmission fix all quiet with re man pump
had 3 evos all bad orings they were flattened and leaked upon re assembly had to get new ones from dealer of course discontinued part so went with some universal orings and a new teflon
all is well ...
:pas stated i wont do this again i would just sell car and buy another it was very stressful----stupid high pressure hose....

Back