Spedo works but milage don't

90tsupercoupe

My 90 SC's speedometer works fine but the mileage and the trip counter don't move at all! could this be a simple fix? What should I be looking for?

Nickleman60, Holy crap... what a price tag on a couple pieces of plastic!:eek:
Thanks for the help.

Go to a junkyard and pull out speedos of mn12's, thunderbirds & cougars 89-96, then take them apart and find a set of good gears....cost......a couple of bucks or just find a speedo that has a working odometer with mileage close to yours and just plug it in your cluster. Since the 90 SC has a 120 mph speedo their in everything mn12 up to 89-96 excluding 94/95 SC's which have a 145 mph speedo.

Last edited:
Since the 90 SC has a 120 mph speedo their in everything mn12 up to 89-96 excluding 94/95 SC's which have a 145 mph speedo.

AND those few with the Standard cluster, which got a 85MPH speedometer.

And the Disco Dash (digital dashboard), which could be set to have a 199MPH speedometer with one jumper.

RwP

Sorry for lack of knowledge but what does mn12's mean?
Also would a digital dash just be plug and play, or need mods to work in my SC?

If you do go looking for one in the junk yards, pass on all speedos where the trip meter reads 000.0

Those gears are already stripped.....:(

If the trip meter has any numbers other than 000.0, then grab those.....

If you're lucky you will find a rare black gear set.....:cool:

That's the Ford chassis designation/platform, mn12, includes 89-97 Thunderbirds, Cougars & 93-97 Mark VIII's.

Minor correction -the Mark VIII is a FN10 - Full sized North American Series 10.

It, however, shares a LOT of common parts with the MN12.

And a lot of the not-common-between-families parts swap anyway.

RwP

when my 90 sc odometer broke i looked for gears on the internet and they were like 60 or 80 bucks so , i took the speedo out of my 89 sc and noticed the gears are better and bigger in the 89 the gears wont interchange so i put the whole speedo in . the easy way to tell before you pull it was the better speedo has a philips screw on the left side and right side of the needle on the face plate

hope this helps
ralph

Last edited:
One other thing I've seen (only once) was a speedo from an LX that didn't use the gear system.....

The trip meter was a cream color rather than the white that I've seen on all the other speedos.......

y'all are great and everyone has a hunk of knowledge that makes me feel better gettin this crap and knowing what to and not to look for. ty all

I just did mine again. Got 3 miles out the last re-do.

Make sure you get all the little pieces of the old gears out.

Back