AC Delete ?'s

90tsupercoupe

I know there is tons of posts on here all about AC delete but it seems there is so many different opinions and strategies for doing so!
Is there a sure fire way of doing this at a minimal price and exactly what parts do I need? Different tensioner? Different belt? Different pulleys?...All of the above? Some of these parts could I get from the scrap yard?

I have no need for AC in this car and want to slowly reduce some weight!
If you have a good link I may have missed... please direct me.
Thanks

attachment.php

I like using the mustang tensioner method like was already linked. It's much cleaner looking and easy to install. See this post for more info.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106141&highlight=delete

David

I like using the mustang tensioner method like was already linked. It's much cleaner looking and easy to install. See this post for more info.]

David

This was the delete I did and was very easy. The added plus of the extra room on the passenger is also nice.

Sean

One problem I've had with this AC delete...

The tensioner used for the swap is a bit stronger than the factory one, which I believe led to premature bearing failure in my alternator. It was a remanufactured unit, and may have had cheap-o bearings in the first place, but even so, I think there was probably less than 10K miles on them before they went bad.

Other than that, it's pretty sweet. :)

I agree that it does feel a lot stronger than a stock tensioner. Then again, if it is being used on a v6 mustang & NA v6 tbird for the accesory belt, the extra tension really souldn't be an issue.

David

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has done this without using an 8 rib pulley and used just a smooth pulley. The reason I ask is I have the thump racing tensioner pulleys on my car and think it would look funny with one black tensioner pulley and the rest aluminum. I was just thinking of replacing the compressor with a dummy pulley off of the f250 I believe is the one I need not sure the year or model, I know I read it somewhere but can find the thread.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back