PDA

View Full Version : Im naive and need help on wiring harness.

Bluntz
03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
I am so frustrated and it is my lack of knowledge that is killing me.

Long story short, had a 90 bird, body was crap, engine is great, bought a 95 bird body is awesome motor is crap. Pulled the 95 motor, junked it, pulled my 90 motor put it into the 95. Yes i changed harmonic balancer, timing cover, and sensor.
I got it all put together and noticed wires didnt match. Here is what i didnt know, i didnt know the DIS module on my 90 was not compatible, discovered that the 95 needs a EDIS module. I also didnt know that the EDIS is mounted on the fendor wall to the passenger side.
Now understand my bird is about 75 miles away and i havent seen it in a while, so off the site here i bought a EDIS module and a wiring harness to go with it. Now understand that when i ordered these things i assumed the edis was mounted in the same sport as the 90 dis. After i order a harness and edis i had the guys send me some pics and thats when i discovered edis is mnounted to fender. i had my friend were my car is send me some pics and lo and behold i have edis and the harness that goes with it on the car already.

Now i spent almost 90 dollars for something i didnt even need, so my question is can someone tell me what kind of harness i need that will connect my crankshaft and camshaft sensors to the main harness? the 95 car came with the engine harness that has all the fuel injectors and whatever else goes on it, it matched my 90 harness exactly with the exception that it has an extra wire to go to the egr.

I am so frustrated as i wanted to be on the road this weekend and now i am still at square one. the harness for the crank cam etc sensors on my 90 fits the same but it wont connect to the main harness. and it has the 2 plugs for the dis module that is not needed.

Does anyone have one of these harnesses laying around and can snap a pic of it so i can see what i really need?

Superloop
03-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Why don't you use the harness that is already on the 95 engine? swap it over to the new engine.

Bluntz
03-01-2012, 10:09 PM
LOL, man if it were only that easy. Unfortunatley when i got the 95 all the wiring EXCEPT the crank cam and i dont even know what else that hooks to was not with the vehicle. I got the car and the top half of the motor was gone.

BLOWN38
03-01-2012, 10:41 PM
So you put the 95 front cover and sensors on the 90 motor? Is the 95 a SC?

Bluntz
03-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Yes and yes. I also switched the harmonic balancers. The 95 was a 3.8 sc as well.

If the 95 harness is similiar to the 90 minus the dis/edis difference it is a small harness with only a few plug on it.

I put the 90 harness on and there were 2 spots that didnt match, the 2 plugs for the dis, which is not needed cause they use edis thats on the fender and the end plug that hooks into the main harness.

BLOWN38
03-01-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure you'll need the whole 95 engine harness. Then you will need the MAF and Injectors from a 94-95 also if you are using the 95 computer, which I pretty sure you would because of the different electronics on the 95.

I just don't know what the early harnesses look like. I have very limited knowledge of the early cars.

Bluntz
03-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Fortunately even though the top part of the motor was tore off the previous owner they left the fuel lines and injectors off to the side. I do believe the MAF is there too but i would have to check.

I just checked LKQ and in my area they got a couple thunderbirds in recently so i am gonna check that out tomorrow and pray for the best.

The main engine harness that connects all the injectors, SC and throttle body stuff is from the 95, the edis module and the harness that hooks that and whatever else is from the 95, it is just the crankshaft camshaft and maybe knock sensor or something that i am missing.

90coug
03-02-2012, 10:14 AM
it is just the crankshaft camshaft and maybe knock sensor or something that i am missing.

I might have a crank/cam/coil harness sitting somewhere

It's not perfect but would work. I'll take some pics later tonight.

B

BLOWN38
03-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Ok yeah. You need the one with the big grey plug that sits up where your old DIS module sat.

Bluntz
03-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Thx for the info. Quick question, my local yard has a 94 bird, assuming it is a 3.8 do the 94 have the same setups as the 95? Id be tickled pink if they had the crank harness i need.

BLOWN38
03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
If it has EDIS, yes it should have the right harness. (94-97)

Bluntz
03-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Well gents i came up short at the junkyard. If you got a harness for what i need i got cash.

90coug
03-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Well gents i came up short at the junkyard. If you got a harness for what i need i got cash.

PM sent......

talonhead
03-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Modding a '93 5.0 'Bird harness (w/bird ecu) to fit a '75 460 (used to be a carb motor) using a '94 V6 crank trigger/sensor and '93 SC cam sync, CV EDIS 8 module and coils. An 85mm 'stang MAF and 42# injectors.
It's been soooooo much fun!
Need a 62-65 twin (cable op'd) throttle body and to mod the intake I already have to accept injectors and the TB.
Most expensive part(s).....alum. heads to shave some weight on the front axle!
Oh yeah, tack on a QH and tune.
.......this will be a while, Need to get the SC V6 and Trans back in the car to save $$ on gas this summer. Truck is gonna kill the way prices are going up! I gotta go and pick up a 5th wheel trailer in MT this april.

Good luck on getting it running!
MikeH