check gauge still..

sabre81

im still getting check gauge when i go into heavy boost.. i cant figure out why,

i have a pic something i found under the hood.

i found this thing laying on the side of the engine compartment. it has a hole on the other side as if it is supposed to go over something.
thing.jpg

could this thing have anything to do with it?

Last edited:
the only thing i could see giving a check gauge light in boost and not any other time is the oil pump? maybe your not getting any oil pressure under WOT and it is throwing the check gauge light..... you only get that thing for low fuel, overheating, and no oil pressure... i assume you have enough gas in the car, and if it were overheating i think you'd be able to tell on the temp gauge (like if its way up over the M) next time it goes on, look at your oil pressure gauge, is it way down in the red? could be something as simple as the oil sender unit, or could be something as severe as a bad oil pump or spun bearing or something causing no oil pressure at WOT.

oil pressure gauge doesnt move at all under wot. Not overheating, full tank o gas. The only thing that ive done was poured a bottle of stp fuel injector cleaner in and ever since then its been doing it.

are you sure its the Red CHECK GAUGE light in the tach, and not the orange CHECK ENGINE light down by the green Firm ride light?

The picture is of the bypass valve. It should move to the right under high vacuum conditions (idle for instance).

Evidently there is a check gauge module.

guage1.jpg

ok update... oil pressure gauge does drop when i punch it!! nooooo.. can i get the sending unit at my local autozone?

thanks

Last edited:
The picture is of the bypass valve. It should move to the right under high vacuum conditions (idle for instance).

Are you looking at the same picture? The one above shows him holding what looks suspiciously like a vacuum-tee cap. It's sure not the bypass valve though.

Oil Press guage

On our T-birds the Oil Press Guage is not really. It is controlled by a pressure SWITCH not a true sending unit. Anything over 7 lbs of pressure closes the switch. The dash indicator (guage?) has a resistor in series with it and will always read pretty much the same. The only fluctuation is from a voltage rise from the alternator spinning faster. If you want a true oil pressure guage either install an aftermarket guage or refer to an article on this site that tells you how to convert the indicator to a guage. (This involves strapping out the resistor and replacing the switch with a real oil press sender.)
On your lite on wi boost question, you might check to see if your TB linkage is moving something (opening a circuit) when in the WOT position. You need to determine if you have a real problem or just a phoney indication.

Picture

The picture is of a vacuum cap. If it has ciome adrift you will have a vacuum leak and that can cause all kinds of phoney indications.

Back