PDA

View Full Version : Turbo track time

fasterthanyou
03-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Ran a 12.405 @ 120.8mph with the turbo setup. 2.45 60' and 101mph 1/8 mile speed. I don't make boost until 5-6krpm in 1st gear and then it's like hitting a 200 shot of nitrous. The tires squawk and my head snaps back into the headrest. Running 17psi on 93 octane with 15 degrees of spark timing. It was my first time out at the track with the turbo setup, there is definitely a ton of room for improvement on the 60'. Should be a low 11 second car.

Super Duper Cou
03-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Were you running street tires? That mph is really good for these big cars!

BLOWN38
03-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Thats a good MPH!

covshark
03-03-2012, 10:42 PM
great run. Was this run at moroso?

fasterthanyou
03-04-2012, 01:46 AM
Yep Moroso/pbir. Great track but the staging lanes take forever. By the way how far away is Ocala from palm beach?

nickleman60
03-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Thats a good MPH!

Typical turbo time/mph.........:rolleyes:

Get that 60' time down and you'll definitely have a low 11 second car, good job.....:D

neverfastenough
03-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Typical turbo time/mph.........:rolleyes:

Get that 60' time down and you'll definitely have a low 11 second car, good job.....:D

Doesn't look to typical, 101 1/8 with a 120 1/4? Did you lift early or something?

fasterthanyou
03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I dunno. felt strong to me the entire run minus the first 60 or 80 feet. I left my trans in drive instead of manually shifting it, it shifted pretty high up in the rpm in 1st and 2nd gear but 3rd to 4th it shifted around the 1000ft mark. kind of killed acceleration a little. I'm not sure what is wrong with my gearing/speed. all the calculations tell me that I should be able to stay in 3rd til almost 130mph but I find that really hard to believe. I've never tried holding it in 3rd through the run though so I can't say for sure.
I just pulled the motor/trans out of the car today though. I'm junking it and looking for an unmolested mustang or cougar v6. I want the comforts of A/C, P/S, Radio and full interior. with 600hp at the wheels. that would be my perfect car. I'll be doing a fuel system upgrade to the next car I get. I was on a simple 255lph pump and 60lb injectors when I ran those times.

David Neibert
03-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I dunno. felt strong to me the entire run minus the first 60 or 80 feet. I left my trans in drive instead of manually shifting it, it shifted pretty high up in the rpm in 1st and 2nd gear but 3rd to 4th it shifted around the 1000ft mark. kind of killed acceleration a little. I'm not sure what is wrong with my gearing/speed. all the calculations tell me that I should be able to stay in 3rd til almost 130mph but I find that really hard to believe. I've never tried holding it in 3rd through the run though so I can't say for sure.
I just pulled the motor/trans out of the car today though. I'm junking it and looking for an unmolested mustang or cougar v6. I want the comforts of A/C, P/S, Radio and full interior. with 600hp at the wheels. that would be my perfect car. I'll be doing a fuel system upgrade to the next car I get. I was on a simple 255lph pump and 60lb injectors when I ran those times.

Next time you race it, turn off OD so it can't shift out of 3rd. Do you still have the 4.10 gears ? What size tire ?

David

BLOWN38
03-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Next time you race it, turn off OD so it can't shift out of 3rd. Do you still have the 4.10 gears ? What size tire ?

David

Yeah it was prolly burning the OD band out of it. Usually you should gain about 26mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4. That mph should be good for some 10's if you can work on that 60'.

rbrown
03-05-2012, 01:28 AM

Did you really?

fasterthanyou
03-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Did you really?

Indeed I did. I have video of the track runs that I'll upload to YouTube in the next couple of days. I reached my goal of going fast. Now I want a nice car that I can cruise in and still have power to play with. Driving a gutted car with no radio no Ac no interior was embarrassing even if it was fast. I loved it but mostly hated it because I never wanted to drive the thing other than to te track and back.

covshark
03-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Yep Moroso/pbir. Great track but the staging lanes take forever. By the way how far away is Ocala from palm beach?

ocala is north of orlando in central florida. I used to live in west palm beach and know moroso well from when i was younger. Soooo. the time between ocala and west palm beach taking the turnpike is about 4 hours.:(

JT's03
04-03-2012, 05:59 PM
What turbo is on it?

fasterthanyou
04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
I had a master power t70 on there. .96 A/R turbine with a .70 A/R compressor. 4" inlet and 2 or 2.5" outlet. its a t4 turbine flange with 3" v-band downpipe flange. I've got some really fun plans for this motor. I've decided to drop this motor/trans into my 95 ranger. Its gonna haul ~~~! I'm getting a transbrake and wot-box this time around. I'll keep the turbo, but I'll use the brake and 2-step to build boost off the line instead of waiting til 2nd gear to hit boost.

fasterthanyou
04-24-2012, 07:49 PM
oh yes here is the turbo video i never posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFex7KKCLs

fasterthanyou
04-24-2012, 07:56 PM
I had a master power t70 on there. .96 A/R turbine with a .70 A/R compressor. 4" inlet and 2 or 2.5" outlet. its a t4 turbine flange with 3" v-band downpipe flange. I've got some really fun plans for this motor. I've decided to drop this motor/trans into my 95 ranger. Its gonna haul ~~~! I'm getting a transbrake and wot-box this time around. I'll keep the turbo, but I'll use the brake and 2-step to build boost off the line instead of waiting til 2nd gear to hit boost.

I've been researching the 3.8 swap for rangers but there are almost no write ups or articles to be found. I figured that since the 3.8 and 5.0 can be easily interchanged, a 3.8 can't be that hard. they have 5.0 swap kits all over the internet for rangers. I think I can simply pick up the 5.0 motor mount kits and the transmission crossmember kit and drop my 3.8/auto in with no problem.

David Neibert
04-24-2012, 11:27 PM
oh yes here is the turbo video i never posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFex7KKCLs

Looks real strong on the top end.

David

fasterthanyou
04-25-2012, 05:43 PM
oh it was! I was hoping for more mph than 120 considering I was on 17 psi but then again I wasn't running much timing. I was at 13 or 15 degrees of timing with the turbo when I was running 26 degrees of timing with the m90 at 13 psi. I don't know how much I could or would have gained by adding 5 or 9 degrees but we'll find out when it goes into the truck.

JT's03
04-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Oh, I know the setup now lol. Didnt recognize your screen name for this site. Good times though. What converter you running?

I cant get mine to trap higher than 96mph no matter how much boost I throw at it. Engine load increases when I add boost so the air is going into the motor. a/f is dead on 11.5:1, timing is 19* and also running a 110 mix. Going to try and lock the converter but cant figure it out with the sct software.

David Neibert
04-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh, I know the setup now lol. Didnt recognize your screen name for this site. Good times though. What converter you running?

I cant get mine to trap higher than 96mph no matter how much boost I throw at it. Engine load increases when I add boost so the air is going into the motor. a/f is dead on 11.5:1, timing is 19* and also running a 110 mix. Going to try and lock the converter but cant figure it out with the sct software.

You might not have strong enough valve springs.

David

JT's03
04-26-2012, 06:12 PM
You might not have strong enough valve springs.

David

Thats a good point David. Would the car be missing if it were the springs? I've always heard about valve float but never know what to look for. The valves are stock on these heads and the cam is 210/218 .500/.500 112*.

BLOWN38
04-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Thats a good point David. Would the car be missing if it were the springs? I've always heard about valve float but never know what to look for. The valves are stock on these heads and the cam is 210/218 .500/.500 112*.

When I had valve float it felt like a rev limiter. I would hit 5k and 17psi and it would just start stuttering like a limiter.

JT's03
04-26-2012, 07:17 PM
When I had valve float it felt like a rev limiter. I would hit 5k and 17psi and it would just start stuttering like a limiter.

My car isnt missing or stutterering. I'm probablly going to put my other springs in reguardless when I yank the motor out.

fasterthanyou
04-26-2012, 08:11 PM

is 19 degrees the commanded spark or the spark you datalog when WOT? my commanded spark was 29 or 30 degrees at max load WOT. but I only saw 25-26 degrees when datalogging. also, if you're turning up the boost without power increase it could be due to the IAT being too high and pulling timing.

JT's03
04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
is 19 degrees the commanded spark or the spark you datalog when WOT? my commanded spark was 29 or 30 degrees at max load WOT. but I only saw 25-26 degrees when datalogging. also, if you're turning up the boost without power increase it could be due to the IAT being too high and pulling timing.

That was spark advance datalog. iat's never saw over 100*. I have the tune setup to pull timing at 150* because I dont want the pcm pulling timing at all with racefuel. I need to write a tune from scratch instead of modifying the mako tune from justin.

fasterthanyou
04-26-2012, 10:31 PM
JT is it a turbo or blower car? and is 96mph in the 1/8th or the 1/4? 96mph in the 1/8th isn't bad. whats done to the car? also, I lock my converter in 3rd gear and 4th gear. its a 9" billet FTI converter 3500 stall triple disk lockup. built 4r70w with more clutches, aftermarket valve body, shift kit and whatnot.

David Neibert
04-27-2012, 05:48 PM
My car isnt missing or stutterering. I'm probablly going to put my other springs in reguardless when I yank the motor out.

If these are your specs....problem might be the .63 AR turbine housing.

Precision Enigne built 3.9l, Precision Billet 6262 .63 a/r, Race port heads, Comp mild 210/218 cam, methanol injection, 3400stall, 373 gears, Custom built hot side built by me, cx racing bar and plate mustang kit. 7.32 @ 96 mph so far on 12psi (needs more fuel)

David

neverfastenough
04-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Fasterthanyou you said your commanding near 30degrees of timing?????, Jesus.

JT's03
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
If these are your specs....problem might be the .63 AR turbine housing.

David

It made 504rwhp on 16psi with this setup. This is actually a 3 bolt .63 with cea 62mm turbine. I'll give more details later, I'm headed to the track and do some tuning on it.

JT's03
04-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Fasterthanyou you said your commanding near 30degrees of timing?????, Jesus.

lol, no ~~~~!

I made one pass last night and it run 7.52 @ 94mph. My ps line got burn up because it was too close to the crossover. I think I had a better tune on it when I went back to run again but had to back out the staging lanes when I saw the smoke rolling out the engine bay lol.

fasterthanyou
04-28-2012, 02:45 PM
I commanded 30 but due to the several different spark tables I only saw 26 degrees at peak load. I was able to run high timing due to a few things. A big cam allows more timing. The m90 allows more timing than a turbo, my ect's were low, my acts were low and my compression ratio is low. All that added together and you need 26 degrees just to get out of your own way. I'll say this, with the n/a intake and a turbo I was only running 13-15 degrees of timing. Most other v6 turbo guys say that 18 degrees is borderline detonation so I wasn't sure what to set my spark at. Then again those same guys said they were running 10 degrees of timing on their sc setup so who knows how accurate their info is.

neverfastenough
04-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Oh I didnt know you were talking about 30 on a m90

JT's03
04-30-2012, 03:42 PM
I talked to Justin about my issue and he told me to run 24* of timing on 110 oct. Also found out my converter is sliping way to much in 2nd gear so I'm going to lock it up in 2nd (bet you supercharger guys wish you could do that):D

All jokes aside, I should'nt have to shift out of 2nd with the converter locked. I think that was my problemb all along, running stock programing for 11" stock stall on a billet 9.5" rated at 3500rpm. 100mph trap would be sweet.

fasterthanyou
04-30-2012, 06:28 PM
I talked to Justin about my issue and he told me to run 24* of timing on 110 oct. Also found out my converter is sliping way to much in 2nd gear so I'm going to lock it up in 2nd (bet you supercharger guys wish you could do that):D

All jokes aside, I should'nt have to shift out of 2nd with the converter locked. I think that was my problemb all along, running stock programing for 11" stock stall on a billet 9.5" rated at 3500rpm. 100mph trap would be sweet.

24 degrees? damn, I wish I turned up the timing when mine was running. if you're running 16ish psi you should be around 105mph in the 1/8th at 24 degrees. I was 100 or 101 in the 1/8th at 16-17 psi and 13 degrees.

you have the same converter I do, where did you get it from? mine works great but shudders when locking up at WOT. I never tried locking mine in 2nd. what does it bring your RPM down to between the 1-2 shift with locking the converter?

also, how are you launching with the auto? footbrake or transbrake? do you have a 2step?

JT's03
04-30-2012, 07:30 PM
24 degrees? damn, I wish I turned up the timing when mine was running. if you're running 16ish psi you should be around 105mph in the 1/8th at 24 degrees. I was 100 or 101 in the 1/8th at 16-17 psi and 13 degrees.

you have the same converter I do, where did you get it from? mine works great but shudders when locking up at WOT. I never tried locking mine in 2nd. what does it bring your RPM down to between the 1-2 shift with locking the converter?

also, how are you launching with the auto? footbrake or transbrake? do you have a 2step?

24* is on 110 oct (the purple stuff). My 60's are low 1.6's and i'm running 373 gears, my mph would increase a little with a gear swap or more tire spin off the line.

Foot brake, and build 7psi on the line. I dont know what it will bring rpm down to, I will go back friday and try it out. Just figured out how to adjust the lock up schedule today because I didnt know where to find it in the proracer.

I'm going to play around with tcc duty cycle and start low at 25% and work my way up to what ever duty cycle the clutch will take. It's a revmax billet triple disk. It's built to be locked up at wot.

105mph would be sweet but I'm not going to push this motor that far. I think it has 100mph with the current power, just need to get the trans tuned correctlly. 6.90's the goal for this setup. Going to build a 4.2 stroker soon and droping it into a 2200lb chasis.

fasterthanyou
04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
24* is on 110 oct (the purple stuff). My 60's are low 1.6's and i'm running 373 gears, my mph would increase a little with a gear swap or more tire spin off the line.

Foot brake, and build 7psi on the line. I dont know what it will bring rpm down to, I will go back friday and try it out. Just figured out how to adjust the lock up schedule today because I didnt know where to find it in the proracer.

I'm going to play around with tcc duty cycle and start low at 25% and work my way up to what ever duty cycle the clutch will take. It's a revmax billet triple disk. It's built to be locked up at wot.

105mph would be sweet but I'm not going to push this motor that far. I think it has 100mph with the current power, just need to get the trans tuned correctlly. 6.90's the goal for this setup. Going to build a 4.2 stroker soon and droping it into a 2200lb chasis.

damn 7lbs on the line??? must be nice! I was seeing 2.3-2.5 60' and didn't boost til after the 60' lol. what are you dropping it into that weighs 2200? a honda?? by the way how did you footbrake and manage 7psi on the line? those must be some massive brakes

BLOWN38
04-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Also found out my converter is sliping way to much in 2nd gear so I'm going to lock it up in 2nd (bet you supercharger guys wish you could do that):D

Mine locks at the top of first.:D Makes for some snappy shifts.:cool:

Here's the pic I tried to add earlier.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/blown38/DD4000tripleplate.jpg

JT's03
04-30-2012, 09:51 PM
damn 7lbs on the line??? must be nice! I was seeing 2.3-2.5 60' and didn't boost til after the 60' lol. what are you dropping it into that weighs 2200? a honda?? by the way how did you footbrake and manage 7psi on the line? those must be some massive brakes

It will build more if I hold it on the converter longer. It's all in the converter. There is nothing special about the brakes other than holding the ebrake and hawk hp pads. I've got an 87 4cyl fox I'm building. Weighs 2700 with the 4cyl, going to do some weight reduction to get it down to 2200lbs with the v6.

JT's03
04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Mine locks at the top of first.:D Makes for some snappy shifts.:cool:

I set a converter switch in my tune that locks the converter 50%, took it out for a test spin and when it shifted into 3rd it it spun my dr's pretty good lol. It wouldnt do that without locking the converter switch. I'm anxious to see what it will pick up now.

Also fasterthan you, the turbo/tune has a lot to do with it as well. I've got it tuned to fuel board the motor at 400-600 maf ad counts and have the timing cut way back under .75 load so it's burning fuel in the headers. Also have a .63 housing that helps. I'm still in the tuning process so look for it to run even faster.

fasterthanyou
05-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Watch out for a new sc motor setup in the near future! Just dropped my heads off at the machine shop to get a shaft mounted rocker conversion. It will take a while but will be worth it to be able to rev out to 9k rpm if I need to with a big turbo. Lsx racing valves along with springs that have upwards of 600 lbs of pressure will be replacing the stock sbc steel valves I have now. Solid lifters and high lift high rpm cam to go along with it.

We're trying to keep the budget around 4k for the conversion with valves and springs. Cam and pushrods are tbd at the moment.

JT's03
05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Who's doing the work? You ever have Bruce do any work for you? I have one of his lowers on my car now and his work is top notch. Also think he's building rons motor.

fasterthanyou
05-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Who's doing the work? You ever have Bruce do any work for you? I have one of his lowers on my car now and his work is top notch. Also think he's building rons motor. he's not allowed to get involved with any more side jobs according to MIKE the guy in charge. Bruce designed a REAL nice setup for ron's mustang motor. extremely lightweight pistons and eagle rods. ron's lower end can rev out to 9k but his top end will never handle those rpms. Ron's lower and upper can flow a ton of air though. if he gets a good turbo instead of the master power junk. and a reliable transmission that doesn't break every other week he'll be a 9 second v6 easily. he's got the advantage of a lightweight mustang with all the suspension/frame work to put the power to the ground.

I had bruce do all the machine work to my block last time. this time around i'll have bruce to the machine work to the block as far as line boring the mains for the new gurdle but thats about it. the cam, heads, intakes are being done by another race shop.

fasterthanyou
06-04-2012, 09:01 PM
heads are done. the valve shrouding is gone. titanium valves. custom high pressure valve springs. shaft mount rocker setup is done. the machinist was able to make big block chevy shaft rockers work. same 1.73 ratio. solid lifters. custom cam. no more baby 232/236 @ .050. now its in the high 24x's at .050 and bumping the lift up to .700 cam the heads have been o-ringed and will work with a ford MLS gasket. also the head bolt holes have been drilled out and stainless inserts have been pressed in. it has something to due with cylinder head expansion and keeping the head from lifting. we're expecting to run 35lbs of boost through an 82mm bullseye turbo.

I dropped my single port lower intake off to another machine shop who says the single port lower will support 1k horsepower all day long. so he's making me a custom upper that has dual throttle bodies that point at a 45 degree angle from straight forward. so basically one TB will be pointed towards where the alternator was, and another will be pointed where the a/c compressor was. with dividers and guide plates to direct air inside the manifold.

as for fuel, I'll be running straight meth. with a pair of 220lb injectors per intake runner. a 12 gph belt driven pump will be where the power steering was.

coils will be plain jane LS coils, they're good enough for my goals.

ecu will be ProEfi128.

its good having friends with knowledge and skills. its a fun project for everyone.

the goal is 1k hp through an automatic trans. why? for the fun of it!

BLOWN38
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing how it works out. Is that enough injector for 1k on meth?

Edit is that 12 6 or 4 220's? I read it as 2 220's at first.

fasterthanyou
06-04-2012, 09:43 PM
2 per cylinder. 12 in total. only one injector will fire per cylinder when not in boost. the other 6 will come on as needed.

David Neibert
06-12-2012, 05:16 PM
heads are done. the valve shrouding is gone. titanium valves. custom high pressure valve springs. shaft mount rocker setup is done. the machinist was able to make big block chevy shaft rockers work. same 1.73 ratio. solid lifters. custom cam. no more baby 232/236 @ .050. now its in the high 24x's at .050 and bumping the lift up to .700 cam the heads have been o-ringed and will work with a ford MLS gasket. also the head bolt holes have been drilled out and stainless inserts have been pressed in. it has something to due with cylinder head expansion and keeping the head from lifting. we're expecting to run 35lbs of boost through an 82mm bullseye turbo.

I dropped my single port lower intake off to another machine shop who says the single port lower will support 1k horsepower all day long. so he's making me a custom upper that has dual throttle bodies that point at a 45 degree angle from straight forward. so basically one TB will be pointed towards where the alternator was, and another will be pointed where the a/c compressor was. with dividers and guide plates to direct air inside the manifold.

as for fuel, I'll be running straight meth. with a pair of 220lb injectors per intake runner. a 12 gph belt driven pump will be where the power steering was.

coils will be plain jane LS coils, they're good enough for my goals.

ecu will be ProEfi128.

its good having friends with knowledge and skills. its a fun project for everyone.

the goal is 1k hp through an automatic trans. why? for the fun of it!

Can you post some pictures of the heads that were reworked to accept shaft mounted rockers.

Thanks, David

fasterthanyou
06-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Sure when I get them back from the machinist I have been meaning to pick them up but our schedules haven't lined up this week.

On another note. I just ordered 4 bolt main caps from pro-gram and a main cap gurdle from morana they should be here Thursday or friday. I was surprised how inexpensive everything was. 300 for the Mains and 200 for the 1/2" thick steel to tie the mains together. Should be a solid bottom end to work with the top end.

XxSlowpokexX
06-13-2012, 12:01 AM
I probably missed all this because I dont look at the race result forum. Sweet! Youre spending quite abit of bucks there on eh Pro EFI..Have a connection? Im looking into several stand alones now but ProEFI is a little to rich for my blood at the moment. Looking at MS3. Again looks liek its coming along great

fasterthanyou
06-13-2012, 01:12 PM
I probably missed all this because I dont look at the race result forum. Sweet! Youre spending quite abit of bucks there on eh Pro EFI..Have a connection? Im looking into several stand alones now but ProEFI is a little to rich for my blood at the moment. Looking at MS3. Again looks liek its coming along great

I've got connections at the performance shop I used to work for. I'm getting everything for their cost which is considerably less than retail. Everything I'm doing is really not that expensive considering the mods that people pay for like an mpx with overdrive which produces much less hp than I'll be putting out. My budget for this motor build is only 6k and will break 1k horse.

David Neibert
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Sure when I get them back from the machinist I have been meaning to pick them up but our schedules haven't lined up this week.

On another note. I just ordered 4 bolt main caps from pro-gram and a main cap gurdle from morana they should be here Thursday or friday. I was surprised how inexpensive everything was. 300 for the Mains and 200 for the 1/2" thick steel to tie the mains together. Should be a solid bottom end to work with the top end.

I haven't seen anyone use a girdle with those big 4 bolt main caps. Is that going to require a custom oil pan and pick-up tube ?

David

fasterthanyou
06-13-2012, 06:09 PM
I haven't seen anyone use a girdle with those big 4 bolt main caps. Is that going to require a custom oil pan and pick-up tube ?

David

That's a good point you made. I'm probably going to have to make a custom oil pan and pickup.

I was just on the phone with Tom from ssm asking what else I could do to strengthen the bottom end. Short of getting a scat crank, getting my 94/95 sc crank shot peened and race prepped is the next best. So I'll be shipping my crank to him in 2 weeks and it will take about a month to get it race ready. Also picked up a bhj balancer while we were talking about the build, my stock 94/95 balancer was about to fail from the rubber splitting anyways..

fasterthanyou
06-14-2012, 12:58 PM
After speakIng with Morana I'll only need to cut n weld the front of the oil pan to clear the gurdle. Stock pickup is fine. I just ordered a double roller chain as well to avoid another failure with that cloyes crap.

David Neibert
06-14-2012, 03:03 PM
After speakIng with Morana I'll only need to cut n weld the front of the oil pan to clear the gurdle. Stock pickup is fine. I just ordered a double roller chain as well to avoid another failure with that cloyes crap.

You might want to take a look at this thread, because it looks like he already did the same thing you are planning.

http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43957

David

fasterthanyou
06-15-2012, 06:39 PM
You might want to take a look at this thread, because it looks like he already did the same thing you are planning.

http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43957

David

Thanks for the link David, it was a good read and it will definitely help with my build. I dont think I'll get everything cryo treated but besides that we'll have pretty much the same bottom end

JT's03
06-15-2012, 07:25 PM
I think it would be easier and cheaper to do what kevin is doing and fill the block and heads. A half fill would probablly do the trick and keep it streetable. Custom parts like your talking seems a bit too pricey for me anyways.

What number are you trying to run? and is that 1000rwhp through what trans setup?

fasterthanyou
06-16-2012, 04:20 PM
I think it would be easier and cheaper to do what kevin is doing and fill the block and heads. A half fill would probablly do the trick and keep it streetable. Custom parts like your talking seems a bit too pricey for me anyways.

What number are you trying to run? and is that 1000rwhp through what trans setup?

I'm not really doing anything custom. everything so far has been off the shelf stuff. it will take machine work for everything to fit but thats about it. as for the fuel system we can get away with 1k on e85 and still be streetable If I wanted to cruise around. so thats still an option.

I'll be using my built 4r70w as my transmission with my 9" FTI converter. I used the same parts in my tranny build as the cobra guys with their twin turbo termi motors pushing well over 1k to the ground. mine should hold up fine.

now for 1/4 mile numbers. expect it to be like supra numbers. 12.9 @ 155 lol. just kidding. the pro-efi with its launch control will help produce some good e.t's. I'm assuming low 9's are what to be expected with my planned setup.
keep in mind the key words; assuming,expected and planned. things never work out like they should at first. til then i'm still waiting for the parts I ordered to show up so I can get the machine work done to the block and assemble the motor.

fasterthanyou
09-16-2012, 07:17 PM
4 months later... I FINALLY dropped the 2001 block off at TEC, the machine shop. They are going to tear down the 2001 block. make sure its usable. I just pulled this from a mustang that overheated to badly that it melted the pistons and melted the heads. it was the only 01-04 block I could find locally so I tried it. I've got everything needed for this build. Hopefully after they clean it, deck it, and bore it the will tell me its a good usable block. with any luck it will be done in the next week to two weeks ready to be dropped into my ranger.

Scott Long
02-06-2013, 02:22 AM
how's the Ranger project coming along?