2.3 problems under load

L

Loco816598

Hello there. I have a 88 2.3t. I am having issues with it bogging under load. The car idles and drives fine but when I put it to the floor it falls on its face. If I rev in neutral it is perfectly fine. Not sure if it isn't advancing the timing for some reason or possibly starving for fuel. As I said though, if not under load, it seems fine. The tach in the cluster is bad, not sure if the ecm uses that for anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure if you woll get much help here. We deal mostly with 3.8 super charged v6's. But I would look at a fuel supply issue. Check the fuel pressure should be about 35 psi while its running if you pull the vacuum hose off the regulator it should go to about 40 psi. Check your throttle position sensor too.

Fuel supply sounds likely. I assume that model uses a knock sensor. If so, perhaps it is picking up knock, or what it believes to be knock, and pulling out timing. What octane fuel are you using, and what boost levels?

Hey thanks for the response guys. It has 93 octane. Ive replaced the regulator and fuel filter but have not yet checked the pressure with a gauge. I will check tonight. I found a donor car that runs so im going to steal the tps, knock sensor, map sensor, mass air and new cluster. I have had this issue for a while and have replaced quite a few parts. cap, rotor, Distributor, TFI module, coil, plugs and wires, and the eec. If there are any other suggestions please let me know. thanks

You should go to tccoa.com , their a little bit more general than we are here. Their is a couple other sites specificaly for your year of thunderbird that might yield some better info but i cannot recall anymore

Try www.Turboford.org You may need new plugs. Anything other than autolites run like poo. Try Autolite 764's. That or NON platinum motorcraft ASFW32's I think. For tune ups on the 2.3, stay with ford including the TFI. These motors are picky when it comes to the tune up parts.

Back