trac lok rebuild

F150 Spring is the hardest, that where a friend and a big hammer come in handy. Took one good whack with the sledge on a 2x4 to get it in.

I use needle nose vice grips to compress the S spring to get it started, then knock it in with a brass punch

I wish I could find the thread where the F150 spring was discussed by someone who knows about these things, but I can't. Anyway, the spring apparently has to do only with vehicle weight and not actual loading of the clutches. In other words, the F150 spring affects drivability but has no impact on clutch performance. The poster recommended not using the spring.

I actually broke my F150 spring in half when redoing a trac loc, tracked down my stocker and installed it, could not tell any difference by feel or black marks from burnouts etc. Plus those stockers are easy to install.

If you buy the carbon fiber plates they come with a bigger S spring than the stock one. The clutches look like the picture. They are more expensive and I cant tell you if they last longer than stock as I havent put that many passes on them. The 2x4 method works well to install the S spring.

Ken

Attachments

• clutches.JPG
    clutches.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 76
Yup I didnt bother with the F-150 spring on my other car, I just did the alternate stack method with an extra two from the old kit.

The car will bark tires when turning tight circles. I feel like its working fine.

I wish I could find the thread where the F150 spring was discussed by someone who knows about these things, but I can't. Anyway, the spring apparently has to do only with vehicle weight and not actual loading of the clutches. In other words, the F150 spring affects drivability but has no impact on clutch performance. The poster recommended not using the spring.

I'd be interested in reading that. At the time that I installed mine, I couldn't find any information saying it was a bad idea to install the bigger spring.

Back