What is required to run e85?

275hptbirdsc

Im finishing off some winter mods and before I put it all back together id like to get some info on e85. Im not doing this to "save money" im doing this purely for performance and I think its a good option considering that e85 is so widely available in my area.Through my research ive noticed that you should run bigger injectors, I currently have 42lbers and im almost positive those wont cut it so what will? As far as a tune goes is it just something dave puts on a chip(im planning on a chip that will supports 92 and e85) or is there dyno time involved? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

E85

If you are running 42# injectors now you need 60# injectors. To determine what injector you need figure out what is needed with gasoline then multiply that by 1.47. You also need a wideband o2 sensor so you can see what your air fuel ratio is. I am assuming that you have a shiftmaster, tweecer, or quarter horse tuner installed, if not buy one. Go in the tuning and change the injector slope to 60. then the ecu knows what injector you have in the car. From there take the car out and drive it. See what the AFR is under load (wide open throttle) and at normal driving. Tune the car to 12 to 1 AFR or richer when you are accelerating or at wide open throttle . When the car is running closed loop, normal driving a 14 to 1 AFR is good. What ever you do make sure it doesn't go lean on you under acceleration. If it does it will burn a piston or exhaust valve really fast and your fun will be over. I use a shiftmaster tuner in my car. The timing table is ok to use as is for street use. I don't know about the other tuners as I have not used them. If you have questions about the tuner you buy get back on here and ask. If you don't feel comfortable doing the above find a tuner and have them do it for you.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
If you are running 42# injectors now you need 60# injectors. To determine what injector you need figure out what is needed with gasoline then multiply that by 1.47. You also need a wideband o2 sensor so you can see what your air fuel ratio is. I am assuming that you have a shiftmaster, tweecer, or quarter horse tuner installed, if not buy one. Go in the tuning and change the injector slope to 60. then the ecu knows what injector you have in the car. From there take the car out and drive it. See what the AFR is under load (wide open throttle) and at normal driving. Tune the car to 12 to 1 AFR or richer when you are accelerating or at wide open throttle . When the car is running closed loop, normal driving a 14 to 1 AFR is good. What ever you do make sure it doesn't go lean on you under acceleration. If it does it will burn a piston or exhaust valve really fast and your fun will be over. I use a shiftmaster tuner in my car. The timing table is ok to use as is for street use. I don't know about the other tuners as I have not used them. If you have questions about the tuner you buy get back on here and ask. If you don't feel comfortable doing the above find a tuner and have them do it for you.

I hope this helps :)

Not to be mean but, don't tune like this. Especially with E85. You want lower AFR than 12 on the gas scale.

I would pick up some 80lb injectors(look in the group buy section I think another GB will be starting), get the aeromotive 340 stealth pump and you should be good to go to get a tune for E85. A wideband sensor(innovate would be good) would be good too but not necesary if you get a dyno tune. And make sure you change your filters a few times shortly after you switch over.

Im finishing off some winter mods and before I put it all back together id like to get some info on e85. Im not doing this to "save money" im doing this purely for performance and I think its a good option considering that e85 is so widely available in my area.Through my research ive noticed that you should run bigger injectors, I currently have 42lbers and im almost positive those wont cut it so what will? As far as a tune goes is it just something dave puts on a chip(im planning on a chip that will supports 92 and e85) or is there dyno time involved? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I'm running 80lbs injectors and a 255lph fuel pump and had a local shop dyno tune it with an sct chip. My car only runs on E85 though.

So I would have to basically tune it myself then? Ive always said to myself that if I need somthing tuned ill just let someone who knows what they are doing to do it.

You can get someone else to tune it. And if you have never done it, I would suggest someone else do it for you especially on e85.

You can get someone else to tune it. And if you have never done it, I would suggest someone else do it for you especially on e85.

Agreed. It might be a little more expensive but it's definitely worth the money. Have someone who knows what they are doing dyno tune it for you.

Is it worth it? You use more e85 than gasoline. I tried it with my Focus and it was close to a wash in fuel cost.

Is it worth it? You use more e85 than gasoline. I tried it with my Focus and it was close to a wash in fuel cost.

As far performance wise it is definitely worth it. My car made 314rwhp and 459rwtq on E85 through an automatic transmission with bone stock heads and cam. It's higher octane and burns cooler. On pump gas you can run about 18 degrees of timing at wide open throttle with my setup but on E85 I'm running 24 degree of timing at wide open throttle. Heck I hot lapped my car on my old setup with 30% overdrive on a ported late model and it didn't run any slower with E85. E85 also burns really clean too so I'm hoping to pass emissions with no cats.

You also need to consider that although the pump says E85 it fluxuates thought the year. You will probably have to invest in equipment to test the fuel.

There are three E85 blends in the U. S. E70, winter, E80 spring/fall, E85 summer.
The range for south Fl. is 100 winter blend to 105 the other three seasons.
Go to e85performance.net for all your e85 questions.
I have been running e85 in my cougar since 2008.
Refer to the site for a cheap and simple test equipment.
I don't know how to post links, sorry.

Last edited:
Back