6.5" speakers

turbospeed

i have some eclipse 6.5" coaxial speakers that i used in the doors of my old t-bird.....my question is can i use this speakers in my SC? can they be fitted in the stock location? or any custom places to put them?? thanks in advance

The stock cut-out is for a 5x7 but with some modification and making an adapter you can fit them in. There is plenty of depth for a 6.5' speaker in there.

There are a lot of great sounding 5x7's out there. Boston Acoustic, JL Audio, Infinity and etc... I have a Boston RC820 component set up front and a pair of Boston RX87 in the rear and they sound great.

Just my .02 Bob

Go with the 6.5"

Hello,
I have a pair of 6.5" MOMO Polk Audio in the doors and in the rear deck. You should have no problem cutting out a new hole for the new speakers. Make sure you use some kind of sound/vibration material the OEM plastic just does not do the job he he. I tried many 5X7 speakers and just could not get the sound I was looking for.
Good Luck,
D Rainer

NRCLSC.bmp

I agree it is hard to find speakers with just that right sound. The biggest advantage to using 5x7's are that they produce much more mid-bass and bass than a 6.5 inch speaker. However, they become less important if you are using a sub-woofer.

I use two EQ's. I RTA the car and set a Rockford Fosgate OEQ-1 1/3 octave eq to take care of any major problems and get a near ruler flat frequency response. Then I use an Audio Control 4.1 crossover/eq in the dash to tweak any music that I may be listening to. Using two EQ's is quite common on the autosound circuit because listening to a tonally flat system is not appealing to most people.

Bob

when i got my speakers for my 84 elan i got boston rally 5*7 and the eclipse 6.5 and the car sounded great .
but to be able to get this car i sold almost all my sound system stereo amp speakers.
the only thing i kept was the 6.5, becuase i used them on the doors .and i still use the car but now i got some cheap 6.5 sony and i wanted to install the eclipses in the SC....should i sell the and get bostons 5*7? or install them on the door and get later some 5*7 for the rear?

The Eclipse speakers sound as nice as any coax speakers out there. My friend owns a stereo shop and sells the Eclipse as well as the JLs. I think that for the money the Eclipse speakers are a bargain.

I think it just depends if you want to put the time into making adapters to fit them into your doors or not. I usually opt for a direct fit if I can because of ease of installation. I put the tweeter of my Bostons up high on the A-pillar and they are facing the opposite listener. They keep the image well above the dash and centered pretty well.

The SC is a really good car for car stereo installation. It has a lot of sound deadening material placed all over the car already. Dynamat the doors around and behind the speakers and do the same to the rear side panels. Also put Dynamat on the trunk, rear deck and any where else that rattles. You don't have to over do it as the SC already has a lot of material from the factory. These cars are heavy enough already.

Hope this helps.

Scosche/eFx makes a 5*7 plate with a 6.5" circle in it...its an adapter plate and its really cool. Pretty cheap two about $10 pr

Todd

Back