PDA

View Full Version : What to use?

frdlvr30
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
So, I have a detailing question. What kind of Wax are you guys using? Looking to wax the new black car and Im not sure what to go with? What do you use Keith? I know yours is black. I havent owned a black car for many years. Detail shops want 200.00 to do a complete detail including Waxing. Car is spotless and lives under a car cover when Im not driving it. Doesnt need 200.00 worth of cleaning. Just need to decide on what to put on it. Mike if you could chime in that would be great too.... Any of you used paint sealants? Supposed to last longer...but not sure it would look as good as a wax....

BLOWN38
03-08-2012, 12:50 PM
A tinted wax is awesome, ie turtle wax black box. 3m also has tinted stuff.

frdlvr30
03-08-2012, 05:49 PM
A tinted wax is awesome, ie turtle wax black box. 3m also has tinted stuff.

I was thinking the Black box too. Thanks Chris...

nickleman60
03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Mike Cate turned me on to Nattys red paste wax from Poorboy Products. They make a whole list of products and anyone who has ever seen one of Mike's cars in person knows that nothing has a deeper, glossier shine than after he's done detailing them with Natty's products. Mike's the king when it comes to detailing.

On another note the Whipple should be arriving within the month and I might need some help/advice installing it.

frdlvr30
03-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I will stop by this weekend. Daughter is in Florida with her other Grandmother so I actually have free time till this time next week. I went and bought the black box by Turtle wax. I know one thing....its alot of work! I did the pre-cleaner and waxed half the car. Put the cover back on it....the other half will have to wait till tomorrow.....Times like these we wish Mike was still here!!

mcate
03-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Dave, for black I'd recommend Poorboy's EX Sealant w/Carnauba, then Natty's Blue paste wax. I use that combo on all the dark cars that I detail. I put sealant on first, then layer on the wax for added depth & wetness. You want to prep the paint first. Buy a clay bar kit (Mothers or Meguiers). Wash the car 1st, then clay it. If you've never clayed, just go to autogeek.net & check out the instructional videos. You can order the Natty's Blue & EX from Autogeek while you're there. Email me at mcate01@att.net if you have any questions. The pics below are from last year's spring detail on my Mustang. By the way, that's not orange peel on my hood, it the textured ceiling in my garage!

Mike

nickleman60
03-11-2012, 09:22 AM
The pics below are from last year's spring detail on my Mustang. By the way, that's not orange peel on my hood, it the textured ceiling in my garage!

Mike

Now that's a mirror finish..........:D

mcate
03-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanx, Keith! This is our (Deb's) new 2012 GT/CS. I detailed it this week. Pretty easy since it's brand new. Clayed, polished with Poorboy's Pro Polish, sealed with EX-P pure sealant, & topped off with a couple coats of Natty's Red. Business is good. I've got 7 cars lined up for this spring!

JACTcoupe
03-11-2012, 02:55 PM
That Red stang is SEXY! I wish I had a car with a good enough paint to shine like that...

nickleman60
03-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Mike's so good at detailing he could shine a turd to a high blinding luster..........:p

No turds, other than a new Camaro I recently did!

Roadhawg
03-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Mike's so good at detailing he could shine a turd to a high blinding luster..........:p

I believe polishing crap was all he did in the Navy...................

nickleman60
03-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Maybe so but I bet he was good at it...........:D

mcate
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM

C'mon Todd, we all did our share of polishing brightwork didn't we???

mcate
03-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Ok, got Deb's CS done. Now it was time to do mine. Started with my usual spring regimen:
1. Clay
2. Swirl removal with Poorboy's SSR 2.5
3. Polished with Poorboy's SSR 1
4. Poorboy's Black Hole glaze
5. Sealed with Poorboy's EX-P sealant

Here's where I tried something new:
6. Waxed with Wolfgang Fuzion

The guys at Autogeek said I'd see a difference between Fuzion & Natty's Blue, so I bought a 3 oz jar ($50) of Fuzion. After looking the car over a few times, I'm still not sure whether I see a difference or not. Might be just a tad more clear. I'm definitely happy with it, though. Looking forward to trying the Fuzion on different colored cars. I'm open-minded, & usually willing to try new brands, but I always seem to go back to Poorboy's.

frdlvr30
03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Wow, Now thats a detail!! Very impressive as always... Guy that works for me has an 2006 Roush fully decked out. Not to mention about 10-12k in stereo and interior work. Its a garage queen and it is silver (Under 15k on it). What do you recommend for that color? And for my Boss's 2011 Gt500 that is grabber blue? Also a garage queen and never seen rain.... I ordered what you said and it should be here tomorrow....btw

frdlvr30
03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
And whats the Verdict with the Hydroboost Todd? Did that work?

mcate
03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Wow, Now thats a detail!! Very impressive as always... Guy that works for me has an 2006 Roush fully decked out. Not to mention about 10-12k in stereo and interior work. Its a garage queen and it is silver (Under 15k on it). What do you recommend for that color? And for my Boss's 2011 Gt500 that is grabber blue? Also a garage queen and never seen rain.... I ordered what you said and it should be here tomorrow....btw

Silver - Probably White Diamond glaze, EX-P sealant, & Natty's Blue or Red (or both!)

Grabber Blue - I did the one below last year. Black Hole glaze, EX sealant, Natty's Red, although when I do it here in a few weeks I might layer Red over Blue.

Roadhawg
03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
And whats the Verdict with the Hydroboost Todd? Did that work?

Still working the bugs out :(

frdlvr30
03-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Silver - Probably White Diamond glaze, EX-P sealant, & Natty's Blue or Red (or both!)

Grabber Blue - I did the one below last year. Black Hole glaze, EX sealant, Natty's Red, although when I do it here in a few weeks I might layer Red over Blue.

I dont think I could ever get over those Red Stripes.....Looks like it was an after thought? I know they are factory....just sayin...

frdlvr30
03-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Still working the bugs out :(

Did disconnecting the Master work? Guessing not...

mcate
03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
I dont think I could ever get over those Red Stripes.....Looks like it was an after thought? I know they are factory....just sayin...

I'm ok with the red stripes, although I prefer no stripes at all. It's potentially shiny paint that gets covered up!

kenewagner
03-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanx, Keith! This is our (Deb's) new 2012 GT/CS. I detailed it this week. Pretty easy since it's brand new. Clayed, polished with Poorboy's Pro Polish, sealed with EX-P pure sealant, & topped off with a couple coats of Natty's Red. Business is good. I've got 7 cars lined up for this spring!

Could you detail more each step and what the purpose of each product is and what it accomplishes? I have taken the time to buff out with a buffer and diffrent polishes on my car. I know one is a swirl remover (3M) and others are for a finishing touch. I have used meguiars and mothers wax and hand rubbed them on. Not understanding the sealants, glazes, nattys red, nattys blue. Could you detail that out a little more? Thanks Your detailing on the paint is incredable

Ken

mcate
03-15-2012, 07:26 PM
This is a simplified version of my detailing regimen. I’ve detailed cars for years, & I used to use the usual over-the-counter stuff like Mothers & Meguiers with good results. I switched to Poorboy’s World products back in 2005 & got much better results. You can use whatever brand products you choose.

You’ll need:
1. Mothers or Meguiers clay bar kit. Available from Advance or Autozone for around $20.
2. Poorboy’s EX Sealant With Carnauba, or EX-P pure sealant. Sealant lasts much longer than wax. Carnauba wax lasts a few weeks, & a good sealant lasts closer to 6 months. I buy my sealants from www.autogeek.net for around $20 a bottle.
3. Microfiber towels & waffle weave drying towels. Available anywhere from Walmart or auto parts stores. Microfiber won’t leave swirls in the paint like terry cloth towels can.
4. Depending on how much shine you want, you can apply wax over the sealant. Depending on what color the car is, I use Poorboy’s Natty’s Blue or Red wax. Blue will give a deeper, wetter looking shine, & Red is more of a brighter shine. Personal preference. Each is available from Autogeek for around $20.

Step 1. Wash & thoroughly dry the car. For washing, a basic car washing soap like Meguiers is ok, although I prefer Poorboy’s Super Slick & Suds. NEVER use dishwashing detergent. It’s hard on the clearcoat. I also prefer washing with the 2-bucket method: 1 for soap, & 1 with water to rinse dirt out of the mitt before re-soaping.

Step 2 is to clay the car. It’s simple, & probably the MOST important part of proper detailing. This should be done in the shade. (Actually all of this should be done in the shade) Do one body panel at a time. Mash the clay into a pancake, spritz on the supplied quick detailer to lubricate the paint, & rub back & forth slowly. The clay pulls out any surface contaminants like bug crap, industrial fallout, brake dust, etc… Once you’ve gone over the entire panel, dry it off with a microfiber drying towel. (I prefer the waffle weave type, available at any auto parts store) After drying, run your hands across the paint & feel how smooth it feels. By the way, if you drop the clay on the ground, THROW IT AWAY. It will pick up sediment from the ground/pavement, & scratch the paint if you try to use it.

Step 3 is to polish the paint. I use Poorboy’s SSR1, which is actually a swirl remover. I like it better than their Pro Polish. You’ll need a D/A (dual action) polisher like Porter Cable’s 7424 to get polishes up to proper operating temperature. Until you get a D/A, I wouldn’t worry too much about polishing.

Step 4 is glaze. I use Poorboy’s Black Hole on dark cars, or White Diamond on light cars. This can be done by hand with a microfiber applicator pad, also available at Walmart or any auto parts store. When applying glaze, there’s no need to try to rub fast. You’re not polishing, you’re simply applying the product. Apply it thin & evenly. (It’s easier to get off that way) Wipe off with microfiber according to manufacturer instructions.

Step 5 is Sealant. When applying sealant, like glaze, there’s no need to try to rub fast because you’re just applying the product. Apply it thin & evenly. Now here’s the important part; don’t wipe the sealant off right away. Wait 30-60 minutes or so before wiping it off. It will last longer & give a better shine if you wait to remove it. When removing it, use microfiber towels.

Step 6 (& it’s completely up to you whether you do this or not) is to apply wax. I use Natty’s Blue on dark cars, White on light cars, & Red on bright colored cars. The car will look very good after the sealant, & the paint will be protected very well. Wax is just to give the paint a little more depth & wetness. If you do wax, wait 12 - 24 hours after sealant to allow the sealant cure before waxing. Apply the wax the same way you did the sealant. On my Mustang I usually apply 4 or 5 coats of wax, about a day or 2 apart. That's just for shows.

This procedure will keep the car’s paint protected & looking shiny. It’s simple, & should only take a few hours.

Any other questions, let me know.

Mike

BLOWN38
03-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Is a orbital buffer also good for polishing?

mcate
03-15-2012, 09:58 PM
High speed orbital buffers are great, but you can easily damage the paint if you don't know what you're doing. Dual action polishers like the Porter Cable & Flex are much safer.

Ira R.
08-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Need to bump this to ask a question. I've been looking at the Polisher you suggested and it seems that there are different pads for different uses. Makes sense I guess, but I noticed you didn't get into that at all. For the average car guy is it important to be changing pads with each product or does the general use pad it probably comes with do the job??

BLOWN38
08-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Need to bump this to ask a question. I've been looking at the Polisher you suggested and it seems that there are different pads for different uses. Makes sense I guess, but I noticed you didn't get into that at all. For the average car guy is it important to be changing pads with each product or does the general use pad it probably comes with do the job??

You'll want to use different pads, if only for the ease of having a clean one for the next product.

I'll let MCate get more into detail on which pads are best for which product.

neverfastenough
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM
I use zaino on mine, figured Id add my .02

mcate
08-02-2012, 10:23 PM

Pads are different colors for different processes. Mine came from a company, Specialty Motoring Products, that's no longer in business. Lake Country is the main maker now, & they use the same general color scheme. Orange is an aggressive pad for cutting, white is for polishing, & blue for finishing. LC has a few other colors too that I've not tried. Autogeek has them all, & good write-ups on what to use. You definitely want to change pads as you go from paint correction to paint protection. Same with the microfiber towels that you use to wipe the products off.
Cleaning the pads is easy, just throw them in the washer. But don't dry them in your dryer. Let them sit out to dry.

Ira R.
08-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Sounds easy enough.

mcate
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Sounds easy enough.

Feel free to ask if you've got any other questions.

Ira R.
08-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Feel free to ask if you've got any other questions.

lol yea, do you plan on coming east at all and do you give hands on demonstration :D

mcate
08-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Just started a new (Gov't) job that will give me approx twice the vacation time than I've had since I retired from the Navy. So I definitely want to come out there sometime. Lots of good friends on the east coast.

'95Cougar_XR-7
08-18-2012, 02:52 AM
Well if anyone's interested I've been detailing for over 7 years. So if anyone needs a relatively cheap yet thorough detail, I'd be willing to help out the community. From one MN-12 owner to another. Used to work for Shine-Car-Shine which were the best detailers in tidewater, but they are rediculously expensive. I could do half price on everything.