oil seperator

sics6

What is a nice oil seperator to use? I'm looking for a nice one but not necessarily a $200 one. Try to see my options out there. But i will pay $200 if that's what is required. All and any input is much appreciated so are pictures.

Thanks guys it's looking more like maybe i should pay the $200, but we'll see as more people tend to chime in.

apparently it is important to have grooves and/or steel wool inside the can so the oil cant make its way back out...

I bought a $25 unit and then modified it myself

These things really work on a pressure drop which takes the oil vapor out of suspension in the air. Perhaps the steel wool just adds more surface area for the oil to collect on but that isnt how it works. No need to spend uber $$ on one of these

Paul,

The part shown on that page was a Catch Can, which is not the same as an Oil Seperator. The one shown here is pricey, but it works very well at pulling the oil and other junk out of the air exiting the PCV valve.

http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp

David

that one you recommended says "catch can" too...it just has steel mesh and cuts in the housing? I'm getting confused...

what is meant by pressure drop?

that one you recommended says "catch can" too...it just has steel mesh and cuts in the housing? I'm getting confused...

what is meant by pressure drop?

Yes..oil seperators can also be catch cans, but a catch can isn't always an oil seperator. I've tried numerous things to capture the oil coming out of the PCV valve including air compressor oil seperators, in line feul filters, home made catch cans, and the only thing that has worked well is the unit I linked. I've seen a couple other ones lately that would probably work just as good but they were in the $150-$175 price range, so not really a bargin either.

I don't know what Damon is talking about on the pressure drop comment.

David

The one I suggested also has a fine screen mesh as it enters the can.

I also liked the idea of not dicking around with add on tube that could go brittle or blow off when you least expect it.

Everything is basically supplied which was a nice bonus.

Paul

The way the oil vapor is removed from the air is through a pressure drop. Going from small line to large can. The misconception is the steel wool filters the oil out of the air. That just isnt the case or how one of these things work.

My question is what size lines are needed for proper function. I have a SMC filter/regulator (45PSI max) which I haven't installed yet trying to decide what size lines are needed, I'm thinking using different sized lines should get a better pressure/velocity change for better separation.

The way the oil vapor is removed from the air is through a pressure drop. Going from small line to large can. The misconception is the steel wool filters the oil out of the air. That just isnt the case or how one of these things work.

so you are saying that any can with a line in/out will work?

My experience with oil separators is in the refrigeration industry. Having as low a pressure drop as possible across a separator is critical to a successful system so pressure drop is not a factor in the separation process.

Here's a quick one page pdf that explains how they work. They are a lot more money than what we're discussing here but the science is the same.

As you can read screen and steel wool would be integral to a successful pcv oil separator catch can.

Regards

Sean

Attachments

• Oil Separators.pdf
    126 KB · Views: 158
Back