Turbochargers + Superchargers = Explosion?

93Poopcoupe

I was wondering if it is possible (considering that someone had the room under the hood) to put turbo chargers on a supercharger engine?

It seems to me that it might not do anything at all and on the other hand I think that maybe it would really really mess something up. Does anyone have an idea, or has anyone ever tried such a combination?

Yeh, you could turbocharge a supercharged engine. Infact, I believe Porsche has done it before. The biggest advantage being that after a certain RPM, the turbo(s) would begin to produce boost with less effort than the SC. So I suppose you could put a bigger pully on the SC to reduce the amount of energy the engine has to use to turn the SC. It'd make less boost, but the turbo would kickin shortly after launch. Regardless, it'd be mighty expensive to setup and get working properly....I would say its not a good idea as the money could be much better spent elsewhere.

What you would want is to use the SC for good low end torque and the turbo for high rpm boost. When the turbo would be at a point to take over the boost role the SC would either disengage or bypass. Bypass would probably be the easiest to do as an electric clutch for the SC would be have to be a strong one. A solenoid to overide the vacuum boost valve could be used here. At about 3500 rpm the turbo could be on full song and you would gain a lot of HP as the SC would not be in use. I think it could be done quite easily. The induction problems are much more demanding. How do you run a MAF closed system with a turbo and a SC? I haven't thought that one out yet.

I think it would make for a pretty neat idea, and have seen it done. Another issue would probably be the exhaust. Supercharged engines need free flowing exhausts, while turbochargers increase the backpressure due to their nature.

That would make for a pretty neat ride.. right when the SC stops winding out boost for low end torque, the turbo kicks in swooshing and pumping horsepower. If the engine was built to handle it, you could probably get a lot out of a very small engine. Imagine the TC engine with the boost turned up, an SC added to eliminate lag, and a better exhaust... not even to mention the results of adding nos. :eek: lol

Back