Hydro-boost brakes on a 'Bird?

talonhead

Anyone ever put a hydro boost master cyl in a bird?
Just found out that the 2K Cobra came with it and the newer 'stangs is standard with it. The hydro unit loks much smaller than the vacuum booster.
I started researching it when he said that his pick-up had it (it's a diesel)
But found out that a lot of cars have the system. It's powered from the power steering pump. Will really have to do some more research. This might work well on the BBF project (when I get to it)
MikeH

Last edited:
I agree its a great concept but BMW also used it and compared to the regular brakes it is strange feeling (on those cars anyway).

you still have to have some sort of accumulator (a large one) incase the motor dies and you are moving. most of those cars either (not sure about mustangs) have two outputs from the power steering pump, they run at different pressures but I would love to see it on a t-bird.

My 96 GT had them and they didn't feel weird at all. Actually once of the best braking cars that I have ever owned.

what I was saying is that BMW didnt get it right. the mustange used it for clearance issues am I correct? its a great idea but the added plumbing and pump modification would it be worth it?

Did some more research. Hoses are cheap, some h-boosters are not that expensive, and master cyl.s not all that bad. The hard parts as I see are-- firewall mount (angle), m/c matchup to booster, and for those with VAPS- is removing the variable orface from the HP outlet and installing a fixture with two outlets and remount the Orface for steering side.

On another idea same system........Could a remote resivoir ps pump be used in place of the OEM pump mounted resivoir unit?
MikeH

I just installed a Hydro boost system on my daughter's SC powered SC 98 Mustang. The Mustang GT has 2 different setups 96-98 and 99-04. Lucky for me I was able to get a 97 Mustang GT system. I plumbed the Hydroboost low pressure return and rack-n-pinion low pressure return via a tee to the power steering pump reservoir. The power steering pump on the 98 Mustang is similar to the SC pump except it does not have variable steering orifice. Out of the 2 systems I think the 96-98 maybe the better of the 2 choices for a Tbird.

Hard pedal..

Hi Rod!

JUST FOR NOTE:
Just ran across a CARDONE PROTECH article: Rich-Running EFI Engines causes booster(vacuum type) failures due to gasoline vapors entering booster.

Looking at some pics I down-loaded, what are the differences between the 'Stang H-boost M/C and the SC M/C?
As I haven't looked at my SC M/C very closely, I don't know how many or what size connections it has. So, I'm just guessing when looking at a parts list. So then, which (other car model) parts will be compatible with H-boost and my SC.

Hey Rod you ever remove a VAPS orface from a PS PUMP?
MikeH

what I was saying is that BMW didnt get it right. the mustange used it for clearance issues am I correct? its a great idea but the added plumbing and pump modification would it be worth it?

Yeah, they did it for clearance issues. The 4.6L is a good bit taller/wider than the old 5.0L and they couldn't get a vacuum booster to fit. The mustang had damn good brakes, way better than my SC or my Formula. I locked up all 4 while doing 70MPH, in my defense I was fixing to hit a very large black cow.

Here's some related info: http://lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28998

You can see the factory hydroboost setup on my '04 GT here:
P1100494.jpg

Hey Rod you ever remove a VAPS orface from a PS PUMP?
MikeH

I'm sure I have, but who knows how many years it's been since I've messed with one.

Back