429 boss!!!

sics6

I just saw the greatest mustang of all time(personal opinion) last night. A 69 429 boss mustang!! Ooh my goodness those things are beautiful!! Wow the sound, the lines of the car, it's just amazing. My favorite muscle cars are mopars from that era especially b-body mopars, but i just love muscle cars period. They really designed those cars to be great looking. Nothing compares to the look and sound of those cars. Feel free to chime in on your favorite muscle car and motor combo, i would love to hear it.

I was always a fan of the 70/71 Torino Fasback. I actually came across one about 6 months ago that was a factory 429/C6 car that I picked up with no drivetrain, and I plan to put a fuel injected 460 and a T56 into it.

I really like the 1970 Buick GSX, 1970 Chevelle and the 429 Boss. the late 60s and 1970 cars are all pretty cool in their own ways.

WOW, favorite of all time. I'm a car nut, so having said that, there are a large number of cars I've loved and would like to have back, but the one that got away and I've never owned that I would like most is a 1972 Pantera. Been in love with it since my fanny first hit the seat......Dan

For the Pantera pick up this months Hot Rod mag and read about it in there.

The boss was incredible. Alice Cooper has one and what he says about it makes me laugh.

70 had the upgraded rods, but the 69 had the black scoop. What a car. It is my favorite Ford.

69 Superbird is another I really liked.

Chevy does not make the board. Although a 55 with a Boss 302 in it would be interesting.

I'm a big Mopar fan too...my favorite is a 1970 Challenger R/T with 426 Hemi. Unfortunately, all I can afford is a model of it.

David

Last edited:
I'm a big Mopar fan too...my favorite is a 1970 Challenger R/T with 426 Hemi. Unfortunately, all I can afford is a model of it.

David

I hear you, closest I came to that was a 73 'Cuda 340...badass little small block with the best balance on brakes of any car I've ever had.

Didn't those pantera's have ford motors in them? That buick 70 gsx was a real sleeper, a torque monster. I love the 69 1/2 super bee with the 440 six pack. The hemi is a legend, but you gotta really bring your a game to woop a 440 six pack. Aah spring is in the air and all those car shows are about to begin. My buddy is stopping over today with his sting ray. I really need a muscle car.

Didn't those pantera's have ford motors in them? That buick 70 gsx was a real sleeper, a torque monster. I love the 69 1/2 super bee with the 440 six pack. The hemi is a legend, but you gotta really bring your a game to woop a 440 six pack. Aah spring is in the air and all those car shows are about to begin. My buddy is stopping over today with his sting ray. I really need a muscle car.

Yup the Pantera had a Boss 351mid engine with a Ztrag 5 speed transaxle...from the factory they were supposed to do 200mph but the fastest I ever got one was about 190 out in Wyoming on a desolate stretch of I-80. But come to think of it that was at 6000 ft so 200 might be possible at sea level.

Last edited:
I will try to get this months Hot Rod article on them posted. A guy in Sweden has converted his to a 426 Hemi and other mods to lighten it to just over 2600lbs with about 600hp. Several frame and suspension changes done to it.

We had a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 340 4spd Posi 4:10 ordered that way from the factory. It was a lot of fun. Smoked a lot of big blocks with that. Buddy currently has a 70 with a 440 and 727 in it, but I prefer the manual.

Like David, I am partial to the 70 Dodge Challenger R/T The hemi would be nice but my brothers Challenger is a 340 and scoots real well. I would add one thing though. My brothers Challenger, which I have tried repeatly to buy, is a covertable and is such a sweet ride going down the road with the top down. If there was another car I would love to have it would be a 69 Z28 with the 302.

Yeah,
My first car was a '70 Challenger w/318-727tf upgraded to a 383 .030 over and tf. then my '69 dart 340 4spd.
Love them old cars.
MikeH

got that wrong here.

For the Pantera pick up this months Hot Rod mag and read about it in there.

The boss was incredible. Alice Cooper has one and what he says about it makes me laugh.

70 had the upgraded rods, but the 69 had the black scoop. What a car. It is my favorite Ford.

69 Superbird is another I really liked.

Chevy does not make the board. Although a 55 with a Boss 302 in it would be interesting.

First off the 1969 Boss 429 has the hood scoop painted the same color as the body. The 1970 got the black scoop.
Now the engine, the first 300 or so were the mild ones, after that they were all monsters. There were 8?? built in 69 and 499 of them got put into the 1970's body. All of them have a speical door tag fron Kar Kraft who built them for Ford.
Here is something about them that few people knew. Every car cost Ford almost TWICE as much to build then they sold them for. Great cars non the less. These cars with a good tune and with free flowing exhaust were mid 10 sec cars at the track with slicks. Today they are north of $200,000 at auctions. I won't be selling one any time soon.....Rich

whatched a tv show once where a boss stang killd a hemi cuda in the quarter and the burn out contest. along with every other muscle car that was being tested, ls6 chevelle judge gto buick and i believe a javlin. they said the cudas clutch was slipping. whos to know other than the boss was the boss.

here is a list..

1961 -2 390 cu in, 330 hp or 401
1962-3...406 cu in, 385 hp or 405
1963-68 427 cu in, 410 or 425
1968-70 428 cu in. 330- 335hp
1969-70 429 boss ,385hp
1969-70 302 boss 290hp
1970-71 429 cj,scj 370 or 375hp
1971 boss 351 335 hp
Now this is just a small list of some of the power that was out there in the old days. I think I hit most of the engines, but I might of missed on something.
The craziest part of this is I have or still do own each of these engines in cars. These were the day....rich

Back