Reading codes..

johnwartjr

What's the most economical way to read codes on my 95 SC?

Such as, a check engine light?

My local parts store no longer has a scanner that will read OBD I codes. I have access to an OBDII scanner, but not one for OBD I

Is this a vehicle where I can use a paper clip, short something, and count flashes? Or do I need an actual reader of some sort?

wmdlc-eeciv.jpg

Connect E and 1

Then read the flashes after turning the key to acc

This can be found on passenger firewall or by air box on later model SCs

Last edited:
I've done this many times and have found it really helps to have 2 people.

You, to read the codes, and a helper to write them down.

I kept finding myself writing down a number than looking up to see a flash and never being sure i didn't miss one. :eek:

Regards Sean

I've done this many times and have found it really helps to have 2 people.
It takes some practice to learn how to write w/o looking down at your paper. The good thing is if you miss a code, it will be repeated. If you miss it again, you can always just turn the key off/on again and start all over. At least for KOEO codes.

It takes some practice to learn how to write w/o looking down at your paper. The good thing is if you miss a code, it will be repeated. If you miss it again, you can always just turn the key off/on again and start all over. At least for KOEO codes.

Evidently you've never seen my "no look" scribble. :eek:

Sean

I believe the CEL will flash, then you can come back here with the codes and someone can tell you what to look at, or there's always google :)

maybe i am a little late, but
how exactly do you read the flashes?

Similar to Morse code...Each flash of the CEL is counted as a number...IE: 5 flashes of the CEL= the number 5. 2 flashes = number 2 and so on. There is a longer break between flashes to designate a separation between codes.

You may have 521 - 84 - 92 etc. Each number is a code and has a corresponding issue that can be looked up in the code book etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

This came up with a Google search, wondering if this tells the entire proceedure for pulling all the codes out of one's Supercoupe. With details as to what is tested and how to know whatr to do during the engine on part in order to get all the codes out.

Any assistance much appreciated. I have the codes just want to study the proceedure. TIA

No. This is the brief list. What you need to do is read up on the KOER procedure as that's much more involved. Its in the most manuals, but do a google search on the EEC IV KOER self test. You'll have to practice a few times to identify the sequences and when to turn the wheel, step on the brake, goose the throttle, etc.

I bought a good reader a couple years ago that reads both OBD1 and 2. It's the Innova Electronics Corp. Model 3120 digital Can OBD2 & 1 Tool. It wasn't cheap but you can use it for the SC and the more modern vehicles. See www.CanOBD2.com.

No. This is the brief list. What you need to do is read up on the KOER procedure as that's much more involved. Its in the most manuals, but do a google search on the EEC IV KOER self test. You'll have to practice a few times to identify the sequences and when to turn the wheel, step on the brake, goose the throttle, etc.

KOER procedure for anyone who wants it:
1. Run car at 2000 rpm for two mins to heat the o2 sensors

2. Turn off car, wait 10 seconds or so, and connect the jumpers to activate diagnostic mode.

3. Start car, don't touch the brake or steering wheel.

4. Immediately after the ID code (3 flashes for our cars) depress the brake and turn the wheel a half turn and release.

5. After that, you should get one flash and immediately go WOT until at least 4000 rpms.

6. Sit and wait for the codes

I know this is old, so old that the picture showing where the jumper goes is gone. could someone please show me the diagrahm again?

Back