High(5500) RPM's after using Cruise control

Ryan A Harris

On my way home from work I went to use the cruise control on my car for the 1st time since I bought it. Once I hit the "on" button, then "resume" it only wanted to accelerate. So I hit the "off" button, the RPM's went to redline, and stayed their. I pulled over and shut the car down for a few minutes while I looked threw the manual to see if there is a fuse I could pull for the CC, no fuse. I went to start the car back up, starts up and the RPM's again go to redline, doesn't jump off the rev limiter, just revs and stays at 5500-6000 or so. I had no tools with me, so I just put it in gear and drove home, very loudly & quickly, the short distance I had left to go.

In the morning I plan on just pulling off one of the cables off of a battery terminal, to see if that will work. But other than that where else should I be looking for the trouble. I have never had any trouble with cruise control before with any car, so this is new to me.

Check for a pinched cable, Ryan. I know it sucks, but I seem to recall that happening to that car when the tranny was swapped. I thought it had been corrected. Unhook it at the TB and your problem will probably go away, as well as your cruise control. Then it will be just like Payton's car:D 100% that's what the problem is. Fraser corrected the cable pinch because he couldn't get the trans to torque up straight, but i'll lay even money that the crushed cable was not replaced.
Alan

Last edited:
Payton, when I was driving that car the cruise was working. But that car did sit for about 5 years while I was taking parts off of it and what not. So maybe its the same case as this current car of mine, the cable is crushed/damaged. Have you looked at the steering wheel buttons at all? I remember having the steering wheel off for some reason.

Alan, thanks, its back to normal idle. No more screaming home at 3am @ 5500 RPM's.

D

The cables will bind up in the casing also.

You can try disconnecting and firing silicone spray down and manually moving the cable.

It may take a week or more with repeated hits to free it up.

Paul

Back