what would be a fair price to do a hg and cam swap

superdadsc

Looking to get back in the game and planning a budget.

Aside from parts what would be a fair price to pay someone to install some new hgs and install a cam and springs.

It does depend on your area of the country what the shop rates are. I combined some of the time since similar items would need to be removed for both jobs. They may not be doing that and charging for it as if it was 2 seperate jobs.

alldata is a good place to go and see what the time frame is and then ask the shop their $/hr. See if those 2 things match up. If not ask questions.

Thanks quoted 1200.:eek: Time to shop around.

That is not too bad.....years ago Ford was at 1600 including parts. When I did my hg's many years ago I had $750 in heads milled & ported, ported intake manifold, cam, push rods, gaskets, bolts, o2 sensors, oil, oil filter, antifreeze.

Like birdofprey97 said the rate depends on where you live.....near Philadelphia is 85-100/hr. I usually charge 50/hr and use alldata for time to work on an auto.
Ken

$1200 for doing both a cam swap along with the headgaskets is not a bad price. $600 is appropriate for a headgasket replacement only. To swap out the cam is quite a bit more work.

Ive seen 1,500 for headgaskets in NYC years ago. Even though 1,200 is a good deal its nice to do it yourself for under $500

I don't think $1200 is too far off. It is a lot of work, especially for a place that hasn't worked on a SC with all the bs supercharger and plumbing to get off just before you can see the motor.

Back