1990 cougar XR-7 does not start

jludorf

I have a 1990 cougar I am trying to get back on the road. The car was the former Superstock champ. In 2007 the car was having issues with the intercooler tubes coming off while going down the track at the shootout so the previous owner parked the car. I picked up the car last year and it would not start. I found the column switch was damaged so I robbed one from a parts car and it would crank and try to start but would need alot of coaxing to get running. Once it was running it would idle Ok but would not rev well above 3500rpm. I figured the old gas was part of the problem so last night I pumped out and entire tank of 5 year old gas. I added some new premium fuel and tried to start it and now it won't start. I noticed the ground I used to ground the test plug so I could pump the tank was stripped so I relocated the ground after cleaning up the metal. I even found the cap on the coil was not connected. Using basic process of elimination I check the fuel pressure and I have 38 pound at the fuel rail with the ignition on and it increases to over 40 while cranking. So fuel is OK so I pulled plug 1 and we have spark. I am not sure where to start next. I would have thought with fuel and spark I should be able to start the car. It did start before I drained the tank. I have double checked all the items and connectors I disturbed and everything looks to be fine.

Any suggestions?

Back