PS Variable Assist? How do I know?

I believe all supercoupes had variable assist power steering. You should see an electrical connector next to the high pressure line where it attahes to the pump.

power steering pump

Not sure what you are asking, but if the pump is not working it will be hard to turn when the car is not moving. If the speed sensitive actuator on the pump is bad you will have a lose or touchy feeling in the wheel at speeds at forty and above. You will also notice that it will suddenly activate or deactivate in a long sweeping turn like a on ramp to the highway, you will find that you are suddenly in an over or under steering condition.

I believe the pumps may be the same..Its the electronic valving attached to it that makes it variable...And they are all variable..But check on the pump bein gthe same..someone may chime in on that

i believe the variable assist is a sensor in the hose, the pump should be the same
when i unplugged the sensor the car was hard to drive at 50 mph it steers to easy

ralph

Has anyone successfully found the replacement O-Rings for this switch? Sizes or part numbers? FORD doesn't have a kit and I can't seem to find the right ones that are PS fluid friendly..

RJ

Has anyone successfully found the replacement O-Rings for this switch? Sizes or part numbers? FORD doesn't have a kit and I can't seem to find the right ones that are PS fluid friendly..

RJ

PS fluid friendly? Use type F auto transmission fluid. I just went and bought a kit that had different o-rings and matched them up and it fixed my leak.

PS fluid friendly? Use type F auto transmission fluid. I just went and bought a kit that had different o-rings and matched them up and it fixed my leak.

The regular o-ring kits I have here work fine for engine oil and water and other things but they seem to deteriorate quicker in Trans fluid or Hydraulic oil installs, these have lasted since 95 I don't want to put something in there that are sub par and have to take it apart again.. Also the two under the collet seem thinner and almost square like a hydraulic packing O-Ring.. That's why I asked if anyone had found the right ones..

RJ

The regular o-ring kits I have here work fine for engine oil and water and other things but they seem to deteriorate quicker in Trans fluid or Hydraulic oil installs, these have lasted since 95 I don't want to put something in there that are sub par and have to take it apart again.. Also the two under the collet seem thinner and almost square like a hydraulic packing O-Ring.. That's why I asked if anyone had found the right ones..

RJ

You could try the PS kit that RockAuto sells. Looks like it's got a bunch of O-Rings.

RJ

They are not "square" at all but take on that shape after being smashed for 20 years. I looked and looked for a packing that had a squared off edge and finally talked to a Ford mechanic that use to work on these cars and he told me it was the shape they took on after being mated for so long. Not sure if it helps but that was my experience. I also have an extra EVO but it will cost $50 plus paypal fees and shipping. Good luck. I fought power steering leaks for the first 2 of the 3 years I have owned my car.

Back