R12 or R134a in 1994 Tbirds?

You can still get R12 if your car is setup for it. Its just more expensive.

R134 is made for smaller condensors, takes less pounds to charge, less hazardous to the environment if released.

Your under hood sticker should specify which type of refrigerant is used, but all of the 94's I have seen are R134a.

- Dan

1994 is when all cars switched to 134A. You can get freeze 12, but last I checked you had to have the license to buy it. I converted my 92 to 134A and it blew like ice.

Yep, just checked the sticker and it is indeed 134a. Crappy performance but at least it is easy to get. Thanks for the help!

Nothing wrong with R134, its good stuff. Freeze12 is a brand name like Kleenex is to Tissue paper, its actually R134 with another R chemical inside it (If you really want to know I can look it up), it is NOT R12, hence the name, Freeze12 is similar to R12, but it is not R12 - you can buy this at the Auto store on the shelf. Freon is a brand name also, but commonly referred to as R12 because thats what it is, manufactured by the Dupont corp. You can still buy R12 if you have a 609 Certification.

Be sure to replace your O rings and the Quick connect fittings before re-charging the system. I did my 94 SC last summer, and it was leaking at the fitting after we pulled it off the machine.

- Dan

Last edited:
How many lbs/oz of 134 is equivalent to the factory charge on an 89??

The R12 systems normally have a larger capacity condensor .. this is why they use more refrigerant. The R134a are supposed to have a smaller condensor and a different element inside of the accumulator. If you do convert, replace the accumulator also.

When I put a "short" condensor in my 94 SC, I asked one of my instructors who runs an AC shop about adjusting the refigerant level to compensate, and he gave me a funny look then said "yeah". No clear answer obviously, the most important thing is that the operating pressures on the high / low sides are operating at normal specifications. If you are using your original condensor, fill it to the capacity listed on your engine bay sticker.

- Dan

Nothing wrong with R134, its good stuff. Freeze12 is a brand name like Kleenex is to Tissue paper, its actually R134 with another R chemical inside it (If you really want to know I can look it up), it is NOT R12, hence the name, Freeze12 is similar to R12, but it is not R12 - you can buy this at the Auto store on the shelf. Freon is a brand name also, but commonly referred to as R12 because thats what it is, manufactured by the Dupont corp. You can still buy R12 if you have a 609 Certification.

Be sure to replace your O rings and the Quick connect fittings before re-charging the system. I did my 94 SC last summer, and it was leaking at the fitting after we pulled it off the machine.

- Dan

Yeah, it's a replacement for R12, but not actual R12. Hehe, I actually put R134A in an R12 system once. It was on an old farm truck I had and sure enough, the damn thing blew like ice for years like that.

Back