Jackshaft pulley Help!!!!

sics6

Okay tyrsmkkyle spoke to me recently about the jackshaft project he's being trying to get going for us to be able to buy some cheaper. Okay the guy that supposed to make them, which is the same guy that's making alot of pulleys for the terminators and lightings is wondering if he could make to pieces and press fit them together or would the load we're putting on them be to much? He's running into some problems being able to just make one solid piece. Tyrsmkkyle computer is down so he's not able to post at the moment. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Other manufactures can do it. :confused:

Maybe he is beyond his capabilities personally or equipment. :eek:

Not being smart, but if he is asking us how to fix the issue that causes great confidence concern(s).

Seems like a little bit of weird question coming from a "machinist" that already makes pulleys. It could be done, making them in 2 pieces, but they would not hold up for long.

What sort of problems has he run into?
tooling issues?
machine issues?
material issues?

I made these pulleys years ago with a very basic set of tools, and a very simple old CNC lathe, along with a CNC mill for engraving & holes.

If you would like, you could PM with any questions he may have about making pulleys. Check out SCI pulleys, those are the ones I made years ago.

I'm waiting for tyrsmkkyle to give me a call back so i can better explain the details. I think he was saying something along the lines that he could'nt make one solid piece, so he was wondering if he could make two pieces and press fit them? I know about sci pulleys cause i have some of them. I wish you still made more. But as soon as i hear word i'll inform you guys of the situation,

Tyrsmkkyle was telling me that the guy was saying that his machine not being big enough to make a piece as big as our jackshaft pulley, so he would need to make two different pieces and press fit. So the question was would press fitting the two pieces together be able to stand up to the stress without falling apart? Dave N. I don't believe he was requiring more money, or that money was the reason for him not being able to build the piece as one piece.

Tyrsmkkyle was telling me that the guy was saying that his machine not being big enough to make a piece as big as our jackshaft pulley, so he would need to make two different pieces and press fit. So the question was would press fitting the two pieces together be able to stand up to the stress without falling apart? Dave N. I don't believe he was requiring more money, or that money was the reason for him not being able to build the piece as one piece.

That makes sense that it is beyond the abilities of his equipment. As far as press fitting that is beyond me. The calculations could be done, but more information from what exactly he plans on doing would be needed.

I don't believe press fitting would hold up to transmitting 100 HP. If press fit and welded it would be strong enough, but would probably need to be balanced.

David

Imma get the guys number from tyrsmkkyle and see what he is talking about. Or imma share the number with some of you more knowledgeable vets on this site, so maybe one of you guys will be so kind as to talk to the guy. I know alot of you guys speak the language of engineers, fabricators, and craftsman. If all fails maybe we can get sci to pump a special run of pulleys out....hmmmm

Last edited:
Back