A/C delete question

Roadracer

Greetings,
I'm new to the SuperCoupe world, wow this may be the best kept secret Ford ever had. Recently bought a '93 (automatic) white on black, was blown away by the power and handling. So much so that I just bought a second one, 95 5 speed with the sole intention of stripping her down and running NASA TT/F here at VIR.

The 95 is in need of some TLC, one of the first things I need to do is lighten it up as much as possible, including getting rid of the A/C compressor and componets. Is anyone aware of an A/C delete fix?

Thanks in advance for any help

And I would restore the 95 and run the 93 or get another less rare one and strip it. Maybe a LX...

Thanks for the info. I had no idea the '95 was rare. I was told the '95 had a better crank and bottom end, as well as a better blower making it a better racer candidate. NASA rules restrict the mods I can make and remain in the "F" class, it's a confusing weight vs. RWHP calculation. But relatively fair none the less.

It runs, poorly, but it does fire and run. While underneath I noticed the EGR tube from the passenger side manifold is missing and the bottom of the EGR is wide open......it's anybodys guess what might have been done to the ol' girl before I got her. No matter really, the engine is comming out to be freshened up anyway but I would like it to run decent prior to pulling it, that way I can feel good that the electronic/ECM/sensor systems are functioning when I reinstall the engine.

Obviously I have a lot to learn about SC's, any help you guys can provide is much appreiciated

Wow, now I'm feeling pretty dumb. I've already stripped the interior (it was trashed except the pass seat) waiting for the S&W 10 pt cage to arrive.

This car has no moonroof, one less thing I would have to remove/patch for racing. I saved the pass seat if anybody needs a gray leather one in good shape.

I do have a question, being relatively new to forced induction, it there really a benefit to using a 10 - 15% overdrive pulley on the blower? It seems to me that working the SC harder would generate a bunch of uneeded heat. Am I correct in thinking that higher intake temps rob power? (there is a 10% installed but the stock pulley is in the trunk)

Try not to laugh at me too hard guys, like I said I'm new to forced induction. My big concern is making sustained, consistant, predictable power over a long period of time during competetion. Some of the events this car will run will last 4+ hours on a 3.75 mile road course. (to stay in my class little if any "noticable" mods can be made)

I need to start a plan, the engine is comming out this weekend. I'm thinking a modest cam upgrade may be in order, any ideas?

Again, thanks in advance for the help

i/c upgrade

maybe use a double i/c theres always for sale at reasonnable price or at least put an i/c fan to help keep air cooler!

Your biggest challenge will be making the motor last for that length of time. The cooling system is marginal under stock/street conditions. ;)

Put in the largest radiator and intercooler that you can, along with meth injection and a very large tank, if you can get away with it under the rules.

Your biggest challenge will be making the motor last for that length of time. The cooling system is marginal under stock/street conditions. ;)

Put in the largest radiator and intercooler that you can, along with meth injection and a very large tank, if you can get away with it under the rules.

Thanks, great ideas. I called Bill at SCperformance yesterday and ordered an 8" IC cooler fan, big hat for the SC, down tubes (W/O cats), Big MAF, lowering springs and sway bars. Bill spun me up on how to smooth out the manifold at the collector. I also ordered the Magnaflow X-pipe resonator and with the stock fuel tank gone it appears there is enough room to run the exhaust out each side before the rear wheels.

I'm hoping there is a Griffen (or similar) Aluminium radiator application that will fit. Bill also got me up to speed on sealing the charge pipes in/out of the IC. It appears that someone had these off before I got the car, doesn't appear to be sealed correctly, I'm guessing thats why it won't run unless you feather the throttle (boost guage works when attached to a hand pump) but reads nothing when the engine is started.

Guys I can't thank you all enough for your help so far, I'm sure I will be asking plenty of questions.

The odometer has 106k on the clock, I'm actually considering getting the engine running good as she sits and go from there vs. yanking it out and going thru it first..........compression test is good, oil pressure is strong. The first event for this car is an HPDE event, 4 30minute sessions - 1 day

Just thinkin'

Thanks, great ideas. I called Bill at SCperformance yesterday and ordered an 8" IC cooler fan, big hat for the SC, down tubes (W/O cats), Big MAF, lowering springs and sway bars. Bill spun me up on how to smooth out the manifold at the collector. I also ordered the Magnaflow X-pipe resonator and with the stock fuel tank gone it appears there is enough room to run the exhaust out each side before the rear wheels.

I'm hoping there is a Griffen (or similar) Aluminium radiator application that will fit. Bill also got me up to speed on sealing the charge pipes in/out of the IC. It appears that someone had these off before I got the car, doesn't appear to be sealed correctly, I'm guessing thats why it won't run unless you feather the throttle (boost guage works when attached to a hand pump) but reads nothing when the engine is started.

Guys I can't thank you all enough for your help so far, I'm sure I will be asking plenty of questions.

The odometer has 106k on the clock, I'm actually considering getting the engine running good as she sits and go from there vs. yanking it out and going thru it first..........compression test is good, oil pressure is strong. The first event for this car is an HPDE event, 4 30minute sessions - 1 day

Just thinkin'

Back